Re: [betterbayview] railyard in Bayview?

  • Michael Hamman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
      I think this would be very cool but i doubt it is big enough.

      Michael Hamman
      mhamman@...

      Kristine Enea wrote:

      Read to the very bottom for mention of a possible bullet-train railyard in the Port Backlands.
      Kristine

      [Business News - Local News] <http://sanfrancisco .bizjournals. com/
      Friday, August 28, 2009 Bullet train stations, rail yard under review
      San Francisco Business Times - by Eric Young
      <http://www.bizjourn als.com/search/ results.html? Ntt=%22Eric% 20Young%22& N\
      tk=All&Ntx=mode
       matchallpartial>
      With plans for California's bullet train moving ahead, Peninsula
      cities are ramping up a debate over whether they favor passenger
      stations or rail yards in their communities.

      In addition to San Francisco and San Jose, high-speed rail planners are
      considering placing two stations on the Peninsula: in Millbrae and
      either Redwood City or Palo Alto.

      Millbrae, which already has a busy transit hub with bus, Caltrain and
      BART service, favors a bullet train stop as part of its long term
      development plans.

      "We think it's an obvious thing," said Robert Gottschalk,
      mayor.

      Farther down the Peninsula, however, Redwood City and Palo Alto are
      split on whether they want to have a high-speed rail stop.

      "I have heard from one side saying, `Are you crazy?' and
      others saying, `This is the greatest opportunity since sliced
      bread,'" said Redwood City Mayor Rosanne Foust, mirroring comments
      from officials in Palo Alto. "We need to study it."

      Officials in Redwood City and Palo Alto said they need more information
      from the California High-Speed Rail Authority
      <http://www.bizjourn als.com/sanfranc isco/related_ content.html? topic=Cali\
      fornia%20High- Speed%20Rail% 20Authority
      > about what a station will
      require for space, parking, right of way and other factors.

      Meanwhile, some Peninsula cities have staked out a position against
      high-speed rail. Menlo Park and Atherton joined a lawsuit seeking to
      invalidate an environmental study for the project.

      The cities allege the rail authority skewed its environmental study to
      favor a Peninsula route instead of a route through the East Bay. A
      ruling on that lawsuit, filed in Sacramento County Superior Court, is
      expected by Aug. 27.

      In addition to passenger stations, the high-speed rail authority wants
      about 80 acres for a rail yard somewhere in the Bay Area. Bullet train
      officials had preliminary talks with San Francisco and Brisbane about
      sites in those cities.

      In Brisbane, bullet train officials eyed the Baylands area, a former
      rail yard and landfill covering 660 acres. While the site is large
      enough to accommodate what bullet train officials want, Brisbane
      officials are considering the site for an 8 million-square- foot
      mixed-use project.

      A city plan calls for building research and development office space, as
      well as other commercial space, said Brisbane Mayor Sepi Richardson.
      "Mixing heavy industrial with R&D and commercial would totally
      change our intentions."

      Bullet train planners also had talks with the Port of San Francisco,
      inquiring about a 40-acre plot east of Cargo Way near the Bayview
      neighborhood. While the space is smaller than what the bullet train
      wants, officials said the site might work if they can find another space
      close by.

      eyoung@bizjournals. com <mailto:eyoung@bizjournals. com> / (415) 288-4969
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
        I could see how a train station done right would be beneficial, but not a storage lot.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
          it would be a maintenance facility, something that will needed from the standpoint of the HSR as well as useful for providing good paying middle class jobs for san franciscans.

        • Kristine Enea
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
            I could see how a train station done right would be beneficial, but not a storage lot.

            I agree, a bullet train station there would be awesome, especially right next to our envisioned Restaurant Row on Jennings. Would go a long way toward making the Shipyard and India Basin true transit-first neighborhoods.

            Kristine Enea

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
              there will probably be two stations in SF - bayshore and downtown.  because of the train's speed the HSR will have to be spaced pretty far apart.  an oakdale station for caltrain would be pretty awesome though