2 subjects: renaming of 3rd street and sewer plant

  • thinklizzylou
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
      Hi everyone and Happy Summer,

      I am wondering if anyone has an update about the proposed renaming of 3rd street? I have called Sophie Maxwell's office twice and sent emails with no response.

      Second thing: That stinky sewer plant

      After realizing yesterday that I just accept the stench of the sewer plant, I will put the odor complaint hotline into my cellphone and probably end up calling daily as I am forced to roll up my car windows at 3rd and Evans. I guess I haven't done this before because the odor exists everyday and I quite frankly have thought, that's just the way it is. That is not usually the spirit in which I approach things. I will change that. I wonder if anything would change if they received a dozen phone calls each day? How about 100?

      I am really wondering if any of these "improvements" actually improve the sewer plant in our neighborhood? I am also wondering why it's ok that we all live with these foul odors? What I would really like to do is call the people in charge of this decision and ask them why they had to do this during the hot summer months?! This to me shows just how out of touch they are with what it is like to live by this sewer plant. It is up to us to let them know. I will now be forced to leave my windows closed on especially stinky days so that I don't smell the likes of a hot, festering, outhouse in my home. Thanks a lot.
      Elizabeth
    • Michael Hamman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
        You will be glad to learn that the PUC is in the process of replacing the old sewer digesters with new high tech digester's that are sealed and can not leak smells.  Currently there is a citizen task force deciding the best location and technology to use for them.  The reason they smell is that they are over 50 years old and the seal at the lids often fails  and it takes a while to fix it as they must be emptied.  As there are five of them one or the other is pretty much always leaking.  The only permanent fix is new digester's which are being planned  right now.

        Michael Hamman
        mhamman@...

        thinklizzylou wrote:

[...]

      • Kristine Enea
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
           update about the proposed renaming of 3rd street?

          A little bird told me it's up to the Mayor to move it forward. Now that he got his news headline from it, I tend to doubt it will go any further, but we have Chris Buck on the case to rally the troops if it springs back to life.

          Anyone care to join me on promoting our "Shop 3rd" campaign in the meantime?

          Kristine Enea

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
            hi elizabeth,

            we'll look to our great "keep it 3rd" organizers to the answer for the first question. my only suggestion is that you call other supervisors to let them know how you feel about the idea.  after all, its going to take sophie and five (5) other supes to make it happen.

            i'll try to answer the second the best i can and hopefully provide you and our other neighbors some ways to raise and keep the pressure on the PUC.

            first off, believe it or not, community pressure over the past 10 years has helped reduce the plant's stinkiness.  the PUC has invested millions in upgrading the plant's dilapidated equipment and making changes in some of their processes as a way of reducing odors.  the problem is that sewer plants smell - especially the old one like this one.  as michael said, there's a bunch of planning going on to put together a new master plan and replace the digesters, but that's going to take some time before the plans are fully implemented.  the digesters probably won't be rebuilt for another 5-7 years.  lets face it, long term planning is cold comfort for immediate problems.

            the best short term thing to do is to keep calling the odor complaint line directly at 648-6882 x1300.  you can also now register your complaint via 311, which will route you directly to the complaint line.  you should also make sure to let the PUC Commission how you feel about the stinkiness.  they meet the 2nd and 4th thursday of the month in the 4th floor hearing room at city hall at 1:30. general public comment is early so you can probably say your peace during a late lunch if you're working downtown.  you can also email the commission secretary at mhoush@....  let them hear from you.

            now on the question about why they're doing all this during the summer months.  i can't say why they timed it now exactly, but the basic gist is that we have a combined sewer system and they need to do this to make sure they have enough time to get the work done while there is a virtual guarantee of no rain.  the UCSF hospital is running on its own schedule and i guess this is when they need to do their site work to maintain their own construction schedule.  at least they've scheduled to do all this stuff in one block of time so its not dragged out over the entire summer.

            i doubt that this is going to make those of us smelling the thing happy but at least it seems like fairly defensible reasoning.

            nevertheless, keep up the kvetching when the plant smells and ratchet up the pressure on the PUC to treat this neighborhood with some respect.

            alex