Re: [betterbayview] Re: Move your car every 100+ hours

  • Dust Wells
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 2:38 PM
      hey, you can stick your car in my yard if you're out of town for awhile.

      Dust

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM, lyziwyg_sf <Liz@...> wrote:

      That is fine with me, when Ivan and I go out of town for trips it's nice to only have to worry about streetcleaning, not the "you have to move your car every x hours" rule too.

      --

      new cell (415) 335-3364
    • Mendell Studio
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        Street cleaning still applies. Some streets don't have cleaning as often, only twice a month, but that's in the tidy neighborhoods.

        The reason it's bad to increase the time from 72 hours to 100 or 160 hrs is that the cars taking up space on the street long term are often unregistered, uninsured, hiding places for drugs (yes I have seen this), inoperable (hence aren't legal on the street to begin with) and the situation causes blight of abandoned cars for extended periods.

        The 72 hour law means you can call in a junk car after 72 hours. 24 or 48 hours later the car gets a pink warning on the windshield which says move the car in 72 hours or else get a fine, so we're already between 168 to 192 hours! As is you can safely leave your car unmoved for a week, barring street cleaning restrictions.

        I don't think anyone is calling in well maintained, registered cars, belonging to the neighbors. We'll all happy to move our neighbors cars, watch their homes while they're away, or check their mail. The new rule hinders police from getting rid of junk abandoned autos and cars that are pushed back and forth manually for street cleaning. I've heard DPT and the SFPD aren't happy about it.