Re: Franciscan Motel to become home to 73 homeless families.

  • Ivan
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8 6:37 AM
      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...> wrote:

      > I'm surprised the motel already been purchased and the plans drawn up before ever hearing a whisper about this. While I wholeheartedly support affordable housing, I wonder if putting these people up against the freeway, isolated, without even a food market, is really the best place for them.
      >
      > If the architects, project leaders, and builders, showed me how they are building the same type of units on the streets where they live I'd be less concerned about the potential negative impacts. Bayview has a disproportionate amount of these projects. I believe the city has to step up by having affordable housing built in the thriving neighborhoods as well. That would be truly life changing for these families in need.
      >
      > I hope to attend the meeting, and will be very happy if it turns out to be a good development for our neighborhood, and our new neighbors.

      Matt-
      your comments make all too much sense. If you run for office I'll vote for you!
      Ivan
    • Kristine Enea
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8 9:19 AM
        Fyi on the Franciscan - the project did come before the PAC (Land Use
        and Full PAC) several times, and we supported it, not knowing that
        there was a lot of opposition from the neighbors. I wish I had known
        before being asked to endorse it. I might have voted differently.

        This just emphasizes to me that there is way too much change being
        foisted on Bayview to stay on top of everything. I've asked Fred
        Blackwell, the executive director of the Redevelopment Agency, to hire
        two in-house communications professionals: one to attend meetings and
        do a better job of letting residents know what was decided and which
        topics are coming up next, and another to focus on outward-facing
        communication and publicity, to let the rest of the City know that
        there is more going on in Bayview than crime. Fred was pretty
        receptive. The Agency will be moving more staff to Bayview anyway over
        the coming year, as Western Addition and some other projects wind
        down. So maybe we'll see some improvement in communications.

        I agree with Matt that Bayview cannot become the fix for every City-
        wide problem. Totally agree that every neighborhood should have a mix
        of income and amenities, and that there is more to a neighborhood than
        housing. I'll be a lot happier when North Beach has some of our
        affordability and we have some of their restaurants. ;->

        Kristine Enea
        kristine@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8 9:53 AM
            I went to the police meeting last night too and was concerned about the Franciscan motel project. The representative from the project stated that because Bayview has the second highest population of homelessness in SF below The Tenderloin, that Mayor Newsom felt it important to provide housing for the homeless in Bayview. Than someone asked, "Well, will Bayview homeless get priority? He replied, that no, that the homeless people would be selected from various agencies throughout San Francisco.

            I don't know. I haven't been out here too long-a little over 2 years but I am wondering and I am concerned that our neighborhood is becoming the place to put people that nobody else wants nor knows how to deal with. At some point, how do we absorb all of the homeless facilities, shelters, low income/affordable housing? Not to mention that putting homeless people and families who have jobs, (the proposed population for The Franciscan project) at the very end of the Muni line, at the very end of the city, by a freeway, with no grocery store just stinks and doesn't make any sense except that perhaps no other neighborhood would stand for it so they figure, let's approve this under the radar and it will all be ok. Bayview won't care.

            Just like when a group of us walked around the neighborhood with someone from the redevelopment agency a few years ago. Remember Matt? She showed our group different projects along 3rd street and talked about the senior housing project across from the Super Save. They never told us that there would be a homeless shelter there and I think there is now.

            I fully support helping the homeless. They have rights too and should be treated fairly but I am wondering when enough is enough? I don't have the answer for that but I am wondering if we have a Bayview development watchdog group? If so, I think I'd like to join. If not, perhaps we should start one-I think this is getting a bit out of control.The more and more I get to witness the actions of Mayor Newsom, the more I become skeptical of him.

            --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...> wrote:

            > Just returned from the Police Community Meeting, still going on. Just learned the Franciscan Motel at 6600 3rd St at Le Conte has been aquired by the city and redevelopment agency. In about 120 days the remaining tenants will be relocated and it will be demolished.
            >
            > In it's place will be 73 units of affordable housing meant to put homeless people and families into permanent housing. There will be no market rate housing, nor retail, nor grocery, but it may include drug rehab.
            >
            > Wednesday, April 15th at the Bayview Opera House there will be a meeting to announce it to the community and field questions. I believe the meeting starts at 6pm, but it could be 7pm. Have to look into it.
            >
            > I'm surprised the motel already been purchased and the plans drawn up before ever hearing a whisper about this. While I wholeheartedly support affordable housing, I wonder if putting these people up against the freeway, isolated, without even a food market, is really the best place for them.
            >
            > If the architects, project leaders, and builders, showed me how they are building the same type of units on the streets where they live I'd be less concerned about the potential negative impacts. Bayview has a disproportionate amount of these projects. I believe the city has to step up by having affordable housing built in the thriving neighborhoods as well. That would be truly life changing for these families in need.
            >
            > The huge, vacant for 15+ years, school building on Franklin 2 blocks down from the Symphony could be converted to help even more families. We should start there.
            >
            > I hope to attend the meeting, and will be very happy if it turns out to be a good development for our neighborhood, and our new neighbors.

          • Michael Hamman
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8 10:22 AM
              The Bayview Hunters Point PAC is the watchdog for development in the bayview.  they review all significant projects proposed for their area and design the guidelines for future development.  Currently there are several vacancies on that committee and i urge anyone and everyone with an interest in the future of our community to get involved. Check out the web-site WWW.bvhp-pac.org

              Michael Hamman

              --
              Michael Hamman
              mhamman@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8 12:08 PM
                I hadn't heard about this either. Did anyone go to the meeting at the police station? If so, I'm putting together the next Footprints Local and can include something about it. And I'm sure other folks in this group would be interested to hear directly.

                I found a couple things online.

                http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/sfra/meetings/supporting/2009/ItemefgAttach2.pdf

                http://www.sfgov.org/site/sfra_page.asp?id=98699

                It looks like the PAC endorsed funding for this in August of 2008 and the SFRA approved the plan this past February.

                Jeffrey

              • patnlisa@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8 6:04 PM
                  FYI. I am forwarding this email from my friend Mary Ratcliff, Editor of SFBayview. It was her response to my question as to whether she or any of her compatriots and long term residents of BVHP were aware of this 'RE-Development'.

                  No, I hadn't heard anything about this. I know some Black folks were trying to buy the motel a year ago but the deal fell through. This isn't the first time Redevelopment bought property that Blacks wanted. Same happened years ago with what's now FoodsCo.

                  I'm not against housing the homeless. I do wonder who will get the jobs and contracts to build the new housing. What's infuriating is that people are often homeless because they're jobless; hiring the people eligible to live in the housing to build it would solve both problems. But that's too obvious, huh?

                  I'm glad someone sent this so we'll know what's up - and curious who sent it.

                  Mary
                  SF Bay View
                  www.sfbayview.com