Vehicle theft

  • hkathleenc
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm a journalism student at SFSU reporting on Bayview. I'm writing a story on vehicle theft in Bayview - not that it happens, but how suddenly not having a car really affects someone living in this neighbirhood, in regard to getting groceries, getting to work, accessing services, having a social life..etc.

      The story, then, is not so much about crime but about accessibility. So, anyone have a story they'd like to share? Dealt with vehicle theft? Or, someone who doesn't have a car? Opinions about the neighborhood public transportation?

      If so, I'd love it if you sent me an email. hkathleenc@...

      Thanks,

      Helen
    • rhonda winter
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2009
        My husband and I sold our car back to the state last year; it was old and California buys up older vehicles to improve the air.
        We have not missed it a bit, and actually have much less stress in the neighborhood without a car.
        Not tickets, gas, repairs and parking hassles.
        No worrying about someone breaking into your car.
        We get around great by bicycle and streetcar.
        Every Saturday we take our bikes and bike trailer to the Alemnay Farmer's market and stock up for the week on fresh local produce, and the T streetcar is a block from our house.
        We also have a community garden on our block, and our fantastic library is only two blocks away.
        We are much healthier now, since we ride our bicycles more, and we interact much more with all of our neighbors.
        Life in Bayview is so much better without a car.

        -Rhonda
        I'm a journalism student at SFSU reporting on Bayview. I'm writing a story on vehicle theft in Bayview - not that it happens, but how suddenly not having a car really affects someone living in this neighbirhood, in regard to getting groceries, getting to work, accessing services, having a social life..etc.

        The story, then, is not so much about crime but about accessibility. So, anyone have a story they'd like to share? Dealt with vehicle theft? Or, someone who doesn't have a car? Opinions about the neighborhood public transportation?

        If so, I'd love it if you sent me an email. hkathleenc@yahoo. com

        Thanks,

        Helen