3rd vs Third ?

  • Jim Ansbro
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
      On the street sign posts it is "3rd St."

      Mapquest can't find "5000 Third"
      but dose find "5000 3rd"

      The Library is at 5075 Third St. in it's printed calendar;
      but is 5075 3rd St. on it's web page:

      All the City's Software says "03rd" (never Third)
      - but it is the "Third St. Light Rail"

      The printed SF Realtor map shows "Third" ending
      at China Basin; &  onto Market as "3rd St."

      The AT&T ballpark website calls it the "Third St. Bridge";
      but it is Landmarked & Waymarked as the "3rd St. Bridge"

      "Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad."
      Euripides Greek tragic dramatist (484 BC - 406 BC)

    • buckpines@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
        Jim,

        I've been dealing with the same issues but I decided that I associate the street name with the way I see it the most often, which is "3RD ST" on the street signs.

        So I am going with the visual, graphic, iconic image of the street sign itself.

        Spelling out a single digit number? My English professors probably preferred it that way, along with the dictionaries, but I'm going with what will be lost, which is the visual, numeric "3RD ST" on our street signs.

        It's almost enough to make you want to change the name! Joke. Just kidding.

        Chris Buck
        Keep it 3rd
        http://www.keepit3rd.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
          yes, the city's street file in the GIS database lists it as 03rd.