re-naming Third Street?

  • thinklizzylou
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
      I just read an article in the SF Chronicle about how Mayor Newsom wants to rename Third Street to Willie Brown Jr. Blvd. Check it out for yourself:

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/14/MN6I16F3A8.DTLthat

      I found the article in my Bayview Footprints subscription. Thanks Jeffrey!

      Best,
      Elizabeth
    • Jeffrey Betcher
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
        My pleasure, Elizabeth!

        I just set up a quick poll in SurveyMonkey for anyone wanting to express an opinion about the proposed street renaming. It just takes a few seconds to do.

        Hope it's okay to post the link here. It's also on the Quesada Gardens blog.

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Z7VZ_2fjm5tS27mTfFcKKGLg_3d_3d

        Jeffrey

        --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "thinklizzylou" <thinklizzylou@...> wrote:

        > I just read an article in the SF Chronicle about how Mayor Newsom wants to rename Third Street to Willie Brown Jr. Blvd. Check it out for yourself:
        >
        > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/14/MN6I16F3A8.DTLthat
        >
        > I found the article in my Bayview Footprints subscription. Thanks Jeffrey!
        >
        > Best,
        > Elizabeth

      • Ivan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17, 2009
          --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "thinklizzylou" <thinklizzylou@...> wrote:

          > I just read an article in the SF Chronicle about how Mayor Newsom wants to rename Third Street to Willie Brown Jr. Blvd.

          You mean Willie "double size the DPT, cut available parking, triple the parking fines, and get all my buddies fat City contracts so I can buy another new suit" Brown?

          Woohoo! I'm all for sticking it to car drivers... oops my bike just got another dent in the rim from a pothole, and a $100 parking ticket... heyyy :-(

          Ivan
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
            Why isn't the school on Silver enough?
            I've always been thankful that 3rd Street had the name 3RD STREET! It's the only street name that links us to the rest of San Francisco. We are too often referred to as if we're not part of the city.

            There are plenty of new streets planned in the district, re-name one of those. I'd rather see a Maxwell St. or Newsom St. in the area, but leave me 3rd Street.

            The cost of the signage change and the costs to businesses having to change letter head, advertising, all printed material. Very wasteful.

            Will our new muni lightrail then be called the W-Willie?

            --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, buckpines@... wrote:

            > Dear Better Bayview Community:
            >
            > Thank you Jeffrey for your constructive approach to this controversy. I just entered my vote on the survey. Very easy to do.
            >
            > I am not one to get too upset about anything, but the current proposal, the fast one about to be pulled off by Supervisor Sophie Maxwell and Mayor Newsom to rename BVHP's very own 3rd Street, in the heart of our town center, after former SF Mayor and State Assemblyman Willie Brown, has me fighting mad.
            >
            > I am trying hard not to take the bait here, but since I read this in the newspaper on Saturday, I am getting more and more upset by the hour.
            >
            > Why should a polarizing political figure, a mediocre San Francisco Mayor, an indifferent mayor to Bayview Hunters Point, deserve to have San Francisco's longest street named after him? There are plenty of better, less controversial alternatives, like one of the new roads in Mission Bay, or a State Building, that could take his name.
            >
            > But our very own 3rd Street in the middle of our up and coming town center, I just can't stomach this.
            >
            > Has anyone seen former Mayor Brown in BVHP since the 49ers stadium vote in 1997? It is bad enough that he has his own?front page?article now in the Chronicle's Sunday paper. Now this.
            >
            > 3rd turns into Kearny at Market Street. I'll concede "3rd Street" from Market to Cesar Chavez Street, but not beyond that point.
            >
            > My biggest disappointment is with Mayor Newsom and District 10 Supervisor Sophie Maxwell. I assume Sophie is now retiring from public office when she is termed out next year? This proposal is going to cost votes - just petty enoug to stick in your craw.
            >
            > Lastly, to quote a community member who attends a lot of public meetings, I worry that there is some bait and switch here, an "end-around",?a shell game to distract us from much more important issues in our community.
            >
            > Can someone from Supervisor Maxwell's office outline the great accomplishments that former Mayor Brown delivered to our community? I'm all ears.
            >
            > In the alternative, I may need to re-read "The Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abbey, because 3rd and Palou will always be 3rd & Palou.
            >

            > Chris Buck

          • Ivan
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
              --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...> wrote:

              > Will our new muni lightrail then be called the W-Willie?

              Whenever it rains it will be the Wet Willie...
            • wmontgomery
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
                better and better!
                On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Ivan wrote:

                --- In betterbayview@ yahoogroups. com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@ ...> wrote:

                > Will our new muni lightrail then be called the W-Willie?

                Whenever it rains it will be the Wet Willie...

              • Kristine Enea
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
                  Is it time to launch our shopTHIRD campaign???
                  I still have the domain name... and some video cameras...
                  We can make a point and keep dollars in Bayview at the same time.
                  And enjoy the irony of dovetailing with the Mayor's own Shop SF
                  campaign.
                  Anyone who's interested, meet me at Your Community Restaurant, Third &
                  Shafter, 11am this Friday 3/20.

                  Kristine Enea
                  kristine@...
                • Dan Dodt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009

                    On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Kristine Enea wrote:

                    Is it time to launch our shopTHIRD campaign???
                    I still have the domain name... and some video cameras...
                    We can make a point and keep dollars in Bayview at the same time.
                    And enjoy the irony of dovetailing with the Mayor's own Shop SF
                    campaign.
                    Anyone who's interested, meet me at Your Community Restaurant, Third &
                    Shafter, 11am this Friday 3/20.

                    Kristine Enea
                    kristine@indiabasin .org

                  • Dan Dodt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 18, 2009
                      Kristine,
                      I was under the impression that you got this off the ground earlier in your work with the Corridor Group.
                      Yes, your shopThird campaign is key to avoiding the next phase of
                      "Willie and the Land Jive" .

                      Dan

                      On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Kristine Enea wrote:

                      Is it time to launch our shopTHIRD campaign???
                      I still have the domain name... and some video cameras...
                      We can make a point and keep dollars in Bayview at the same time.
                      And enjoy the irony of dovetailing with the Mayor's own Shop SF
                      campaign.
                      Anyone who's interested, meet me at Your Community Restaurant, Third &
                      Shafter, 11am this Friday 3/20.

                      Kristine Enea
                      kristine@indiabasin .org

                    • Patrick Monk.RN
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 22, 2009
                        Hello danny boy, how ya doing. have you achieved electrical enlightenment yet.
                        Pat.