Re: Odor near Third St. and Evans

  • thinklizzylou
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      Happy New Year everyone-
      Every time I drive or walk over the little bridge at Islais Creek, it baffles me how the foul
      and offensive odors of a rendering plant would be allowed within smelling distance of
      such a beautiful waterfront. Then again I think this each time I smell the sewage plant or
      see the remnants of the pg&e power plant. Such a beautiful area with such noxious
      smells-smells that would not be accepted in any other part of San Francisco and that is
      why our neighborhood is home to them. Just because these businesses have become
      Bayview-Hunters Point institutions, does not mean that acceptance is the best course of
      action. Industry is one thing, harmful to your health and quality of life industry is another.
      So phone on!
      Elizabeth
      P.S. When are we all getting together for a coffee pow-wow again?

      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

      > There's another coffee roaster over by the auto wrecking yards near
      > the water treatment plant. Also a seafood wholesaler at Cargo and 3rd.
      > Those businesses smell bad some days too. It all depends on the day of
      > the week and how the wind blows.
      >
      > If it helps anyone ID what they are smelling, the occasional "kibble
      > dog food" scent is the rendering plant. The occasional "raw sewage"
      > smell is the water treatment plant. Everything else should be obvious.
      >
      > Let's face it, we moved into a mixed residential/industrial
      > neighborhood! We knew about this stuff when we chose to move here. Not
      > saying it's OK to blitz us all with noxious odors 24/7, but we all
      > prob'ly have more pressing worries these days.
      >
      > hey everyone, Happy New Year and I hope you are all well!
      >
      > Ivan

    • Derek Dubuque
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
        I always thought that dog food smell was somehow the water treatment
        plant. The only time I can ever smell it is on really hot days. The
        wind seems to shift inland on hotter days.

        For some reason that doesn't gross me out as much. Probably because
        I'm a little ignorant of what the process is at a rendering plant.

        SO DON"T TELL ME!!!