Re: [betterbayview] intro

  • Jim Hunger
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2007
      Welcome to the group, Alex.  We can use a new member who is familiar with neighborhood activism.  Also, congratulations on the new son!

      Jim

      Alex Lantsberg <lantsberg@...> wrote:
      hi everyone,

      i just joined the group and matt asked that i introduce myself.

      i've lived in the neighborhood- in india basin - for eight years and have been working on neighborhood issues since 1996 when i was an organizer for the southeast alliance for environmental justice.  SAEJ as it was known led the fight against what would have been a 3rd power plant in the neighborhood and then organized the campaign that led to the agreement to shut down the hunters point power plant - i hope all of you have had a chance to swing by the area to see how the deconstruction is proceeding.  in addition to power plant related stuff i worked on getting more money for hunters point shipyard cleanup, redevelopment related stuff, and my continuing obsession of trying to do make some big changes at the southeast sewage treatment plant that stinks up our neighborhood's northern gateway.

      my wife and i had a son two and a half weeks ago so my activism has kinda slowed down recently, but i'm continuing working on water & sewage related issues as chair of the PUC's citizens advisory committee.

      alex