proposed SF congestion tax

  • Ivan T
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2008
      Let's face it, the SF Board of Supervisors is the inmates running the asylum. I don't need to list all the crazy things they've done, you can look it up.

      While the idea of reducing car traffic downtown is noble, it ain't brilliant. Just spend some time living and working in the proposed congestion area to see that the City will eff it up, big time, the same way they have the DPT, Muni, taxicab permitting and pay-lot management.

      Like these "services" all a congestion tax will do is further line the City coffers, aggravate citizens and tourists, and further raise the cost of working/living in this City. Fee exemption permits will be handed out to guvmint bureaucrats, cronies, campaign donors, etc. Regular folks like you and I will pay thru the ass, as usual, for the privilege of using streets we already pay a ton of taxes for.

      The SFPD and DPT will rejoice as they will have yet another reason to ticket, tow, boot or otherwise "parking tax" offenders. Commuters will park just outside the congestion zone, packing adjacent neighborhoods with hundreds of additional vehicles per day.

      For anyone with a job in the "zone" that can't bicycle or Muni in to work daily, a FastPass transmitters on their motor vehicle will become a necessity, not an option. Just another invasion of privacy quietly being foisted upon us.

      Ivan
    • Dust Wells
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2008
        i always thought that would happen, because that's what i would do.

        if i lived out of the city but worked here, i'd just park on Illinois or Third and take the light rail in rather than pay $40 for parking.

        prepare for gads of cars everywhere.

        oh, we're going to have to get parking permits next, like a B permit for our cars or whatever.

        boo!

        dust

        --

        new cell (415) 335-3364
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2008
          It's another tax affecting the poor most. Only the well off will be
          able to afford driving downtown, just like the higher toll on the GG
          bridge keeps poor people from visiting Marin.

          Everyone who can avoids driving downtown as it is because it's
          congested.

          We bike to work and bought a hybrid. I'm all for encouraging public
          transportation, but make it a viable choice, not forced ridership.

          One day they'll come to Bayview Hunters Point suggesting area parking
          permits ostensibly to benefit residents but it'll just be another way
          to increase revenue from fines and it'll discourage people from
          coming to our neighborhood to visit or shop.

          Matt

          --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Dust Wells" <dusty.whales@...>