Info on health / disease rates in the Bayview?

  • lyziwyg_sf
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
      One silver lining to the softening house prices in Bayview is that a
      few friends of mine can now afford to move here. Everyone has heard
      about the Superfund cleanup at the shipyard, and I get asked about
      statistics for our area in terms of asthma, cancer, etc. Does anyone
      have useful links to this type of info? From a good source?

      Thanks a lot.

      Liz on Mendell
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
        liz,

        years ago the dept. of public health did some epidemiology work in the bayview and did in fact show elevated rates for all that stuff.  it may still be around on their website or in the somwhere in the internet cache.  and while environmental toxins were an undeniable contributor to those problems, you simply couldn't pin everything on them.  for example asthma problems are a function of both outdoor and indoor air quality; healthy housing will do quite a bit to reduce the chances of developing it or having an episode, but its still not a good idea to live with a 1/4 mile downwind of the freeway (280). our taking down of the HP Power plant is a big help but its not the end of the big emitters.  diabetes is a function of genetics and diet, but it can also be caused by acute toxics exposure.  the same with a lot of other stuff.

        the takeaway is make sure you know what the close-by neighboring uses are (you don't want to be too close to a large user of solvents and aerosols) but also do what you can to control the things within your own sphere of influence.  feel free to send questions my way...

        aml

        On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:26 AM, lyziwyg_sf <lyziwyg@...> wrote:

        One silver lining to the softening house prices in Bayview is that a
        few friends of mine can now afford to move here. Everyone has heard
        about the Superfund cleanup at the shipyard, and I get asked about
        statistics for our area in terms of asthma, cancer, etc. Does anyone
        have useful links to this type of info? From a good source?

        Thanks a lot.

        Liz on Mendell

      • ximena ares
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
          Any statistics about health problems in the Bayview is not informative as to whether living in the Bayview is the cause of those problems unless is corrected for income level, pre-conditions, smoker/non-smoker, race, etc.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
            the epimeological study by DPH tried to control for those factors but i don't know how successful it was.  the point was that there were elevated levels of various diseases but there were also a whole host of intervening facts that made the study inconclusive from the standpoint of assigning blame.  the bottom line is that liz's friends shouldn't worry about contracting a horrible disease by living in the neighborhood.

            its actually kinda funny, when we in the southeast alliance for environmental justice went about the job of raising awareness about the environmental insults to the neighborhood we never dreamed that our message would have gotten through so much that people are afraid to live here.  our point was to call for cleanup and sustainable solutions, not fear and avoidance.

            aml