SHIPYARD LEGACY FUND meeting TODAY 5/19 9am-130pm

    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2007
      See you at the meeting.
      It's at 100 Whitney Young Circle.

      From 3rd Street... go uphill on LaSalle, left on Cashmere, turn onto
      Whitney Young Circle.

      Matt
      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2007
        Just a follow up. The meeting ran long, but the best part was at the end.
        We got to speak to the out of town guest speakers who have been through similar and
        successful neighborhood development in other cities and states.

        A few catch phrases used were...

        Better Neighborhood/Same Neighbors.

        Development without Displacement.

        Affordable (housing) without Crime.

        It was noted by one speaker that the Asian and Hispanic residents would come if they saw
        Asian and Latino faces on the C.A.C and that the we are responsible for doing better
        outreach.

        We were also advised to realize this is a long term commitment of neighbors to continually
        develop and improve the neighborhood. There is no finish line or end date. It must be
        sustainable. We were also encouraged to make connections to other groups and
        organizations outside of Bayview who can help us, teach us, or partner with us.

      • Jim Hunger

          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2007
            i'm familiar with both dudley street and market creek in san diego and its important for us to keep in mind the differences between what we have at HPS and these other two fine examples.  i think the dudley street example is very applicable to the broader neighborhood and i've always looked to it as a model for what we can do in BVHP.  the problem as i see it is that the dudley street neighborhood was far better organized than the bayview and - at least in the stuff i've learned about it - was far less fracticious with less infighting borne of the experiences and grudges of two generations of activism.  i recently saw a very good presentation on market creek and - if i recall correctly - its critical component was a private foundation that made a commitment to the neighborhood and was able to move things along through its own initiative.  they may have worked with a big site (though nowhere as big as HPS) but it was otherwise a whole different set of kittens. the commercial mix there was  pretty cookie cutter corporate and would definitely not be described as reflective of either SF or BVHP  .

            now the plans for HPS call for markets and community space so it seems that the question is how to use the money in a way that will help establish and grow businesses, promote educational opportunities, and generally do things that will bring some tangible return to the neighborhood.

            was any of this covered at the workshop?

            aml

            bayview94124 <mendellapt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]

          • Mendell Street
            Message 5 of 8 , May 25, 2007
              I don't believe anything as concrete as what we should do was
              covered. It was to me more of an inspirational motivational
              presentation. "This is our success story. You can do it too."

              None of the 3 guest organizations speaking were exactly like BHP but
              none were exactly different either. Funding was very different, and
              they didn't really elaborate about resistance to change except for
              mentioning their slogans. They seemed to have more communtiy
              involvement, but that may appear to be the case now that they've got
              so many years under their belts, and successes they can point to.

              Matt

            • Jim Hunger