Re: [betterbayview] Re: Hunters Point: Gearhead Central

  • patti wells
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2008
      Hey Ivan
      I think your on to something here. Why don't you write something up, send it over the better bayview group and let us help you edit!

      On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Ivan <hulagun66@...> wrote:

      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, wmontgomery <wmontgomery@...> wrote:

      > This is a brilliant idea, Ivan....have you proposed it to Newsom or
      > anybody in power?
      > -WInifred

      I have not. Frankly I'm not a one man riot. I'd need the momentum of a
      mob behind me. Maybe I'll write something up and see if the gearhead
      press will print it. Aargh.. anybody want that editing job?

      BTW - It occurs to me that I misspoke when I said "we could have
      something unique in Hunter's Point". We already do. I meant that in
      comparison to a ball park, it would be unique.

      In addition, I failed to list that any arena suitable for racing
      (bicycles, karts, motorcycles, etc) could also be used for arts or
      other fairs, antique shows, swap meets, driver safety training
      schools, concours d'elegance type shows, exhibitions, and even host
      temporary "tenants" along the lines of Cirque du Soleil. Try doing
      that at a league football stadium.

      Realize that the Cow Palace used to do some of these events, and still
      does. But it doesnt have the support base around it that an injection
      of artists, artisans, craftsmen from the community could give it if
      they lived nearby, worked there, and saw it as "their special place".

      Downsides exist. I admit that such a place would occasionally generate
      significant noise, and is an easy target for the carbon footprint
      finger pointers. Same as a football stadium, but likely on a smaller
      easier to manage scale.

      Ivan

    • Ivan T
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2008
        Is there a text version of the City's proposed
        redevelopment plan for HP available somewhere?

        I could better articulate my concept by overlaying it
        onto an existing proposal template.

        It might also be good to put some images together into
        a look-and-feel board about the concept.

        Ivan

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2008
            --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Lantsberg" <lantsberg@...>
            wrote:

            > this sounds quite fun. all you need to do is put in bio-diesel
            component
            > then everyone can love it!

            I didn't forget! "Biofuel" advocates were mentioned in my original
            posting.

            Ivan
          • Ivan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 11, 2008
              I'm getting some cautiously positive reinforcement from the gearhead
              community.

              Anybody out there willing to build a simple info website about the
              concept? A website would be easy to point people with questions to.

              Also, isn't there a website where you can create a petition and
              collect signatures "on line"?