5317Re: [betterbayview] Re: Tear Down the Stack

  • patti wells
    May 18 9:19 PM
      How is tearing down a smoke stack going to homogenize anything?

      Patti

      On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM, hulagun66@... [betterbayview] <betterbayview@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Chris,

      I’m looking out my window at the smokestack as I type this. It’s not really all that big, and not much of an eyesore. The radio towers up beyond it, on Twin Peaks, are far uglier. I certainly don’t share any feeling of "stigma assoicated with living in a community with such a large smoke stack”, and I’ll be surprised if very many Bayview residents do.

      The hideous cement towers over on Illinois Street are a far more classic case of the “broken window” theory that is so often referenced by urban renewal advocates. Yet there was vocal support in the community to keep them standing, and they even got a mural of debatable appeal.

      I just don't understand the focus on a simple smokestack. A smokestack is hardly symbolic of oppression. It’s more an iconic symbol of industry. When Liz and I moved to the Bayview, we never said to ourselves “if only that smoke stack wasn’t there”.  In fact it is reminiscent of the industrial history of this wonderful old waterfront neighborhood, which was part of it's appeal. So many San Francisco neighborhoods have been stripped of their historic bumps and warts in a rush to modernize or gentrify them. They have lost most of their interesting character and sense of history. Do we really want to homogenize the Bayview?

      I’m not going to start a “Save The Stack” campaign, because I don’t really care if it stays or not. But I do feel there are far more deserving targets for our focus and talents. For example, I’d love to see the KFC on Third be replaced by something better for the community at large.

      Respectfully,
      Ivan Thelin

      --
      new cell # 335-3668