[BETA-UFO] UFO's - a Second Look

  • Nur Agustinus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 1999
      Reader's Digest Magazine

      Reader's Digest WorldSpecial Feature

      http://www.readersdigest.com/rdmagazine/specfeat/archives/ufosasecondlookstorypart1.htm

      UFOs - A Second Look Subscribe Now!
      By Randy Fitzgerald

      To James and Fawn Clemens of Kingman, Ariz., the bright but fuzzy amber light hanging above the northwestern horizon seemed odd. It was 8 p.m., March 13, 1997, and the couple, both 42, were in their yard.

      Looking through binoculars, the Clemenses seemed to see five intense orange lights, in a "V" formation, heading southeast. Then reports began streaming into local law enforcement agencies, media outlets and civilian UFO groups.

      Retired Northwest Airlines Capt. Trig Johnston says an object the size of 25 airliners floated slowly and soundlessly past his home in north Scottsdale. "It was the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen," he told Reader’s Digest. A 43-second videotape, recorded at 8:28 p.m. by a man in north Phoenix, shows five white lights in a "V" formation. At 8:30 p.m. the cockpit crew of an America West 757 airliner at 17,000 feet near Lake Pleasant, Ariz., noticed the lights off to their right and just above them.

      "There’s a UFO!" co-pilot John Middleton said kiddingly to pilot Larry Campbell. They queried the regional air-traffic-control center in Albuquerque, N.M. A controller radioed back that it was a formation of CT-144s flying at 19,000 feet.

      Overhearing this exchange, someone claiming to be a pilot in the formation radioed Middleton. "We’re Canadian Snowbirds flying Tutors," a man said.

      The Canadian Snowbirds are the elite air-show performance team of the Canadian air force. Snowbird pilots fly CT-144s, a two-seat training jet nicknamed the Tutor, which has a single landing light in its nose.

      But Capt. Michael Perry, squadron logistics officer for the Snowbirds, denied that any of his planes were in Arizona that month. "We don’t travel in a V-shaped formation, and we don’t cruise with landing lights on," he told Reader’s Digest.

      Officials at Luke AFB in Phoenix, Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and Edwards AFB in Rosamund, Calif., all denied that any of their planes were responsible for the sightings. FAA officials profess to be baffled. "We don’t have any knowledge of the incident," says Martin Hardy, the Phoenix air-traffic-control manager.

      Was it a secret military exercise, an elaborate hoax—or something else? The mass sightings of whatever flew over northern Arizona that night have added new fuel to the UFO controversy.

      Part I: The Truth is Out There
      Part II: An Old Mystery
      Part III: Molten Metal
      Part IV: Fire in the Sky