Re: game design

  • seancsnm
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
      I agree that it was a very sad sight to see so many teams unable to score. Were it just a little easier to score points, many of these teams would have been able to score something. Making scoring a bit more diverse in terms of difficulty of scoring would have been better. It was easy enough to collect game pieces, but in terms of scoring them, all 3 scoring areas were equally difficult to score in, depending on the designs teams built. I like having a serious challenge, but I also have to remember back to the years we didn't score any points - part of it was inexperience and part of it was the difficulty of scoring game pieces.

      I think that if teams persevere through the hard years, they'll do well later on, but it would be a lot easier to persevere if teams could score points their first year.

      --- In bestinc@yahoogroups.com, "bjtech1" <bjames@...> wrote:

      > I was a referee at our local hub competition this past Saturday. Consequently I watched 50+ rounds from up close, and in most of those rounds the teams that I watched did not score any points. I really felt sorry for the teams when I had them verify on the score sheets that they did not score any points. I think there are several reasons for this lack of success but I think the game did not provide any real easy options for teams with limited resources. I think the games should be made with a wide range of challenges, such that even the teams with the least resources can score with some game pieces, but there are challenges for the most advanced teams also.
      >
      > When I first read the game-specific rules I thought the game was simple enough and straightforward enough for all teams but it did not work out that way. So consider this message an appeal to future game designers to have some parts of the game that can be accomplished by teams with limited resources.
      >
      > I did not see any teams score the black flies or cockroaches, although one or two teams attempted. Most teams went for the red flies and food, a few teams went for the termites.

    • Brian Louis
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
        Although I agree to some extent, I thought last year's game was poorly designed (no offense to the designer) because it was so biased toward a very specialized approach (scoring tons of golf balls). Our kids always want to build a robot that has a wide range of capabilities and unfortunately the most ingenious robots were not the highest scorers based on the points system.

        I agree that there should always be some "easier" way to score (but not too easy!) but even more importantly I think that the points system should greatly reward those students who have "well-rounded" robots that are capable of a variety of strategies. Even this year, the game is a bit biased toward a single-minded approach, but not so much as last year...