Re: VEX Interference at Hub Competition

  • ripphyzard
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 21, 2011
      In the real world we would have scrapped the VEXnet system. We had connection problems in our lab where there are six strong wifi signals in the 2 GHz range. The problems disappeared when we went to an area with fewer or weaker signals. Our "company" wouldn't do business with someone that can't provide the service promised.

      The students were great at trying to solve the problem. BEST and VEX need to do the same.

      --- In bestinc@yahoogroups.com, Lori Jack <mail4jacks@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > aluminum foil or some other shield around the underside (but not the top) of
      > > the USB dongle. The official BEST solution is apparently using the USB
      > > extension cable to move the USB dongle away from the Cortex. It is also
      > > important to make sure it is away from motors (and probably wires) too,
      > > because motors have a strong electromagnetic field that could easily disrupt
      > > the USB dongle. After hearing about this, we used the adapter to mount the
      > > key on our arm; the furthest from the electronics it could get.
      > >
      > > Although the VEX system has brought some good advantages, it has had a lot
      > > of inherent problems, which take a ton of time to work around. The past two
      > > years our largest problem hasn't been a design that can't score, but rather
      > > working around VEX-related issues. For example, last year we burnt out a
      > > Cortex and caused multiple servos to strip by doing the same thing we'd done
      > > in past years. Thankfully, VEX has worked with BEST to solve these issues,
      > > and continues to do so. The BEST competition tends to be very hard on
      > > returnable components, much more so than the VEX Robotics Competition. I
      > > don't think VEX quite had a handle on what they were getting into when they
      > > designed components for the BEST competition.
      > >
      > > As a senior, I think the competition has been completely worth it every
      > > year since I joined 6 years ago. Although things have changed a lot, it is
      > > still a great learning experience, with many challenges.
      > >
      > > --- In bestinc@yahoogroups.com, "ripphyzard" <srippetoe@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > So today was the second most frustrating day of BEST I have experienced
      > > in the past ten years. Every round had robots not running because the VEX
      > > joystick lost comm with the Cortex controller, except for one preliminary
      > > round. We had comm in our first semifinal round and half of our second. We
      > > only had comm for one minute in the three rounds of the finals. We only had
      > > six out of fourteen rounds with radio comm for the entire round. To my
      > > knowledge, every team experienced similar issues, though we had our worst
      > > problems after the preliminary rounds.
      > > >
      > > > Another team went through all three semifinal rounds without ever having
      > > radio comm. Yet another missed a round of the finals because of the lack of
      > > radio comm. Some rounds only had one of four robots running, all the result
      > > of the radio systems not linking.
      > > >
      > > > After we were finished today, I just could not imagine spending six weeks
      > > next year working with the kids to put a robot together to go through a
      > > similar experience. VEX and BEST need to find a solution. The communication
      > > problems are well documented on the VEX forums.
      > > >
      > > > There is an upside to this disaster. At dinner this evening the team told
      > > me how much they enjoyed the past six weeks.
      > > >

      > --
      > Lori Jack
      >
      > *""To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement." ~Mark

    • ripphyzard
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
        I turns out that the problems at the North Houston BEST competition were caused by the host school's wireless controller system. It prevented ad-hoc networks from connecting. We and many of the other teams were aware of items 1, 2, and 4 below but that didn't help. As to item 3, I can see how that could be a problem, but I would expect to see more teams establish a connection then lose it during the round. Nearly all teams just could not get a connection to start with.