1956Re: [bestinc] .080 pitch , 1/4 inch wide belt stock 3 ft long

  • Michael Blazer
    Oct 11, 2013
      Ralph,
        The Generic Kit Usage Guide, page 19, has one method.  Another method that my team (I'm a long term mentor) has used when you need to drive a large pulley:
      1.  Drill a 1/4" hole in the pulley (wood or plastic, not the kit one) about 1-2" in from the edge of the pulley.
      2. Using a bandsaw, cut a radial slot from the outside edge to the hole.  This slot should be wide enough to pass the two ends of the belt stock into the 1/4" hole.
      3. Use a #10 screw & nut thru the 1/4" hole to wedge lock the belt in place.
      While you won't get free rotation, you should have over 300° of movement available.  It would also be a good idea to use the microswitches to limit the rotation so the motor doesn't overdrive the system and cause damage.

      Mike Blazer
      SA BEST

      On 10/11/2013 8:11 AM, skdbc@... wrote:

      My students have been trying to use the 1/4 inch wide belt to drive the base of the Robot. We used the Epoxy to Join the ends of the Belt but that has not held. Can some one help me on what to use to get the ends of the belt to hold?

      Ralph Williams
      Brennan High School

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic