Reviving the Boston Webloggers Meetup - Wednesday 7/21 7pm @ Marche Movenpick

  • Susan E. Kaup
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      Some fellow Boston area webloggers are trying to revive the Boston Weblog
      Meetup. A venue needs at least 10 votes or Meetup.com will send out a "this
      event has been cancelled" email. If you're in the Boston area and you'd
      like to join us, here's the information I sent out to the Boston Blogs.com
      list earlier. (Sorry if you're on that list and you're seeing this twice --
      but I figured there wasn't 100% overlap.)

      And I was wondering if maybe the third Wednesday of every month (when the
      blog meetup happens per meetup.com's schedule) we could skip that week's
      Berkman meeting. The meetups are generally social in nature and would be a
      good place to recruit participants for the Thursday meetings. Something to
      talk about on the 8th?

      - Sooz

      ---

      The Boston Weblogger's Meetup is going to be revived but we can't do it
      without your help.

      The next Meetup is Wednesday, July 21st @ 7pm. We're trying to get everyone
      to vote for Marche Movenpick since Meetup.com cancels gatherings that do not
      have at least 10 votes for a venue.

      So! If you could help this noble cause by voting for Marche Movenpick, that
      would be excellent. The restaurant is located inside the Prudential Center
      (above the Pru's stop on the Green ³D² Line) and they have *free wifi*.
      They have an ala carte setup for food and drinks with everything from sushi,
      pasta, salads, fish, dessert, wine, beer, etc.

      To RSVP, go to http://blog.meetup.com

      ************

      BOSTON WEBLOGGERS MEETUP

      Marche Movenpick
      The Prudential Center
      Boston, MA

      Wednesday, July 21, 2004
      * 7pm * All ages *

      COST:
      Pay for what you eat/drink.

      *** FREE WIFI! ***

      RSVP:
      http://blog.meetup.com

      DIRECTIONS:
      http://www.marcheusa.com/directions.htm
      (If you drive, park in the Prudential Garage and bring in your parking
      ticket for $7 parking. It's $20-$28 without validation. Otherwise, take the
      Green Line to the Prud's stop on the "D" Line.)

      Hosted by Boston area webloggers.
      Email sooz@... with questions, ideas, etc.

      Mark your calendars. The Boston Webloggers Meetup is held the third
      Wednesday of every month.

      ************
    • Rick Heller
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
        I favor having our thursday meetings on Wednesdays
        once a month, and joining/invading the meetup group.

        I can't make it on July 21, however.

        Rick

        --- "Susan E. Kaup" <sooz@...> wrote:
        > Some fellow Boston area webloggers are trying to
        > revive the Boston Weblog
        > Meetup. A venue needs at least 10 votes or
        > Meetup.com will send out a "this
        > event has been cancelled" email. If you're in the
        > Boston area and you'd
        > like to join us, here's the information I sent out
        > to the Boston Blogs.com
        > list earlier. (Sorry if you're on that list and
        > you're seeing this twice --
        > but I figured there wasn't 100% overlap.)
        >
        > And I was wondering if maybe the third Wednesday of
        > every month (when the
        > blog meetup happens per meetup.com's schedule) we
        > could skip that week's
        > Berkman meeting. The meetups are generally social
        > in nature and would be a
        > good place to recruit participants for the Thursday
        > meetings. Something to
        > talk about on the 8th?
        >
        > - Sooz
        >
        > ---
        >
        > The Boston Weblogger's Meetup is going to be revived
        > but we can't do it
        > without your help.
        >
        > The next Meetup is Wednesday, July 21st @ 7pm.
        > We're trying to get everyone
        > to vote for Marche Movenpick since Meetup.com
        > cancels gatherings that do not
        > have at least 10 votes for a venue.
        >
        > So! If you could help this noble cause by voting for
        > Marche Movenpick, that
        > would be excellent. The restaurant is located inside
        > the Prudential Center
        > (above the Pru's stop on the Green �D� Line) and
        > they have *free wifi*.
        > They have an ala carte setup for food and drinks
        > with everything from sushi,
        > pasta, salads, fish, dessert, wine, beer, etc.
        >
        > To RSVP, go to http://blog.meetup.com
        >

        > ************
        >
        > BOSTON WEBLOGGERS MEETUP
        >
        > Marche Movenpick
        > The Prudential Center
        > Boston, MA
        >
        > Wednesday, July 21, 2004
        > * 7pm * All ages *
        >
        > COST:
        > Pay for what you eat/drink.
        >
        > *** FREE WIFI! ***
        >
        > RSVP:
        > http://blog.meetup.com
        >
        > DIRECTIONS:
        > http://www.marcheusa.com/directions.htm
        > (If you drive, park in the Prudential Garage and
        > bring in your parking
        > ticket for $7 parking. It's $20-$28 without
        > validation. Otherwise, take the
        > Green Line to the Prud's stop on the "D" Line.)
        >
        > Hosted by Boston area webloggers.
        > Email sooz@... with questions, ideas, etc.
        >
        > Mark your calendars. The Boston Webloggers Meetup is
        > held the third
        > Wednesday of every month.
        >

        > ************

        =====

        Smart Genes: An Open Source Novel by Rick Heller

        Now online at http://www.opensourcenovel.net
      • bob stepno
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
          It looks more and more like I'm about to move to Knoxville to point a
          new generation of journalism students into the blog-enhanced future.
          It's a long commute back to Cambridge, so I hope that the opportunities
          for virtual participation in the "berkman-thursday" meetings resume
          after the post-Dave group sorts itself out.

          I probably won't be there this week, so here's my contribution to the
          likely "what now?" discussion...

          Since the monthly Wednesday meetup.com blog meetup started this thread,
          I'll mention that if I were staying here, I'd vote to move the whole
          Thursday meeting series to Wednesdays.

          I had a great time with y'all on Thursday nights, but the choice of
          nights did conflict with some of my favorite things to do in
          Cambridge. I wonder if the same is true of other potential
          participants.

          Here's what I had to juggle:

          -- The more-or-less monthly MIT Communications Forum. I did manage to
          get to a couple of these at 5 p.m. and still make it to Berkman, but
          half the fun I'd had at previous Comm Forum events had been getting
          together with attendees afterwards. (Note that it's first fall topic is
          "covering bush-kerry in print, on tv and online":
          http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/ )
          -- The weekly contradance at the VFW
          http://www.contradancelinks.com/schedule_emass.html
          -- Concerts and other special events more likely to be on a Thursday
          than a Tuesday or Wednesday
          -- Long-weekend academic events with a Thursday opener (or requiring
          Thursday-night packing for Friday travel).

          Would more card-carrying Berkman folks participate on a night other
          than Thursday? When I started coming to the meetings I expected to meet
          more of the names on that long Berkman blogroll. Would a "rotating
          chairmanship" draw more of them in?

          In any case, unless someone from B.U.'s alumni mag shows up with a
          wheelbarrow full of money in a hurry (they asked for news-writing
          samples --
          http://www.stepno.com/index.html#clips), in a few weeks I'll be off to
          the land of Instapundit, SouthKnoxBubba and the Rocky Top Brigade.

          I do hope to be back for at least one more Thursday later this month.
          Meanwhile, give Bubba a click at...
          http://www.southknoxbubba.net/skblog/

          He's just the kind of blogger I'd like next door; knows his city, goes
          to public meetings, shares pictures of birds and banjo players. In
          fact, he responded to an e-mail from me with a very helpful note about
          Knox neighborhoods.

          Eerily, he also shares Dave's fascination with the Six Flags Dancing
          Guy.
          http://www.southknoxbubba.net/skblog/archive_2004_07.php#3151

          I wonder what he and his friends do on Thursdays?

          cheers,

          Bob
        • J. Scott Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
            Oddly I can second w/ Bob on the wednesday versus thursday dichotomy. Wed
            is significantly better for me personally.

            Crap. Sorry to lose you Bob.

            I'm quite leary on the meetup stuff. The one time I tried to do a meetup,
            not only did no one shoe but the meeting place turned out to be out of
            business.

            Scott

          • Susan E. Kaup
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
              The only really good Meetups I went to were when people took on hosting it.
              So, that's what I'm doing with the help of some others, too. I've already
              confirmed with Marche that they can accommodate us. We'll most likely have
              our own room. And hey, they've got free wifi. Which I've also tried out.
              Good times!

              Sooz

              On 7/6/04 11:57 AM, "J. Scott Johnson" <scott@...> wrote:

              > I'm quite leary on the meetup stuff. The one time I tried to do a meetup,
              > not only did no one shoe but the meeting place turned out to be out of
              > business.
              >
              > Scott

            • aslam karachiwala
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
                OK...I voted for Marche. Once a month is more realistic for me than
                weekly...I hope to make it on 7/21.

                --aslam

                --- "Susan E. Kaup" <sooz@...> wrote:
> [...]
                >
                > BOSTON WEBLOGGERS MEETUP
                >
                > Marche Movenpick
                > The Prudential Center
                > Boston, MA
                >
                > Wednesday, July 21, 2004
                > * 7pm * All ages *
                >
                > COST:
                > Pay for what you eat/drink.
                >
                > *** FREE WIFI! ***
                >
                > RSVP:
                > http://blog.meetup.com
                >
                > DIRECTIONS:
                > http://www.marcheusa.com/directions.htm
                > (If you drive, park in the Prudential Garage and bring in your
                > parking
                > ticket for $7 parking. It's $20-$28 without validation. Otherwise,
                > take the
                > Green Line to the Prud's stop on the "D" Line.)
                >
                > Hosted by Boston area webloggers.
                > Email sooz@... with questions, ideas, etc.
                >
                > Mark your calendars. The Boston Webloggers Meetup is held the third

                =====
                http://methinks.mythicflow.com/
                mythic flow ~ methinks
                toward the confluence of imagination and reason

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail