Melinda Wittstock on Web 2.0, populism, and professional journalism - 04/19, Cambridge, MA, USA

  • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2009
      Dear Berkman-Sunlight Colleagues,

      The Ethos Roundtable is an informal group of people who are interested
      in 1) measuring and extending ethos, and 2) using technology for
      positive social change. We meet once a month in Harvard Square
      (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA) for discussions and presentations.

      If you're planning to be in the Boston area this month, please join us
      for our next Ethos Roundtable session:

      Tuesday, May 19th
      4:30 - 6:00 pm
      Charles Hotel
      1 Bennett Street
      Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
      Featured guest: Melinda Wittstock, founder of Ask Your Lawmaker,
      Capitol News Connection, and Pundit Productions

      Melinda Wittstock is an award-winning broadcast and print journalist
      with 20 years of experience in New York, Washington, and London. Her
      writing and hosting work spans BBC Radio and TV News, ABC News,
      National Public Radio (NPR), MSNBC/CNBC, as well as London's Times,
      Guardian, and Observer newspapers.

      Melinda founded Capitol News Connection (CNC), which covers Congress
      from a local perspective for more than 200 public radio stations
      nationwide, reaching three million listeners. She also created "Power
      Breakfast", which airs daily on WAMU 88.5 FM in Washington.

      She conceived and launched the Ask Your Lawmaker web site and widget,
      which lets citizens directly question their lawmakers. Users ask
      questions and vote on the ones they most want CNC journalists to pose
      to lawmakers. Audio answers are uploaded for users to listen to,
      comment and share.

      Melinda will be sharing her vision of collaboration between citizens
      and professional journalists to foster accountability and transparency
      in government. She calls this "truth-squadding," and will be leading a
      discussion about how Web 2.0 makes this possible.

      Although we don't often carry over an Ethos Roundtable theme from one
      month to the next, we do have an opportunity to do this in May. During
      our April session with Susan Labandibar, we brainstormed about ways to
      call Congress to account about the hazards of recycling e-waste
      overseas, and one of the strategies I suggested was posting a question
      about this to Ask Your Lawmaker. I posted a question on this topic,
      which you are welcome to vote up. You're also welcome to post a
      question of your own (on any topic whatsoever) to Ask Your Lawmaker -
      it only take about three minutes.

      At the conclusion of our Ethos Roundtable session , we will stroll
      down the hall to enjoy the good company, food, and drink at the 501
      Tech Club that is so generously underwritten by TechFoundation. The
      501 Tech Club is the monthly gathering of technology professionals who
      work with nonprofit organizations.  All Ethos Roundtable attendees are
      welcome at the Boston 501 Tech Club, and vice versa.

      For more about the Ethos Roundtable, please see
      <http://ethosroundtable.blogspot.com>.

      For more about the Ask Your Lawmaker, please see <http://askyourlawmaker.org/>.

      For more about the Boston 501 Tech Club, please see <http://nten.org/techclub>.

      For more about TechFoundation, please see <http://techfoundation.org>.

      Please remember that there's never any need to make a reservation to
      attend Ethos Roundtable events. Just come if you can, and feel free to
      invite others! However, if you're planning to attend the Boston 501
      Tech Club event at 6:00 pm, we ask that you send an email to Kathleen
      Sherwin of TechFoundation (ksherwin AT techfoundation DOT org). Since
      TechFoundation is providing the free food and drink, it's courteous to
      let them know how much to order.

      Best regards from Deborah

      P.S.: Full disclosure of financial relationship: I serve as a paid
      consultant to Capitol News Connection and Ask Your Lawmaker.

      Deborah Elizabeth Finn
      Technology for the Nonprofit
      and Philanthropic Sector
      Boston, Massachusetts, USA

      deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
      www.deborahelizabethfinn.com
      Skype:  Deborah909
      Twitter: Deborah909
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/deborah909

      I bring resources and needs together for nonprofits and
      philanthropies, mostly through strategic use of information
      and communication technologies.
    • Jessica Baumgart
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
        Howdy!

        Two events of interest:

        "Startup Bootcamp [begins] at 9:00am on October 12, 2009 at Kresge Auditorium, MIT. ... Startup Bootcamp is a free one-day event featuring talks by entrepreneurs and venture capitalists on how to start a company ." Registration required. http://startupbootcamp.mit.edu/

        ---

        "The Berkman Center at Harvard University in coordination with the Center for Research on Computation and Society is putting together a Ruby on Rails workshop for women on October 16th and 17th.

        We are seeking to create an attitude-free, newbie-safe and mama- friendly tech event to encourage women to join the Ruby on Rails community. This is an inclusive event meant to promote mixed gender collaboration."
        More info and registration: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/genderandtech/ruby-on-rails-workshop-for-women/

        Happy fall!

      • j Baumgart
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2009
          Howdy!

          The Boston Book Festival is Saturday, October 24, 10 a to 6 p, in Copley Square. There's a stellar lineup of attendees and events all day. http://bostonbookfest.org/.

          Incidentally, OLPC {One Laptop Per Child} will be there in force and is looking for some volunteers to help with the tent and show off the new XOs. If any of you would like to assist with that, please message me offlist.

          Cheers!

          j Baumgart