Tomorrow's meeting: Zach Tumin on a Harvard social network for research

  • Erica George
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2008

      Blog group member (and head of one of Harvard’s interdisciplinary research centers) Zach Tumin has been thinking about open access in the university, and wondering how to open up Harvard’s discussions even more - both to the public, and within the internal Harvard community:

      What’s the problem? There exists huge untapped potential to see, use and advance research going on around the University. Today it lies behind the boundaries of Harvard’s stand-alone schools, and locked into statuses like “student” or “staff”.

      That potential represents the University’s greatest assets: its brains and its reputation.

      How would we specify/launch a social media capability for Harvard where any student, faculty or staff could post papers, do crowd research, share bookmarks - and collaborate across the boundaries of the schools and statuses?

      Come help us brainstorm about what we’d want, ways to go about it, etc. If you could build something like this today (for Harvard or any other school), what tools would you use? What would you want it to be like?

      Same bat time, same bat-channel (7pm, 23 Everett)

      Erica

      Share the URL: http://icanhaz.com/tumin090408

    • j Baumgart
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hey there!

        Upcoming Events at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University

        + Thursday, September 4, 7:00 PM: Berkman Blog Group: Harvard Social Networks
        <http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/bloggroup/>

        + Tuesday, September 9, 12:30 PM: Berkman Luncheon Series: "The Future of the Net in the Coming Year" with Professor Jonathan Zittrain (RSVP Required)
        <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4602>

        + September 12-13: Conference: United States v. Microsoft: 10 Years Later (Register Now!)
        <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4517>

        + September 23: Internet Safety Technical Task Force Open Meeting
        <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4537>

        + September 23: Berkman Book Release. Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser (Save the Date)
        <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/2179>

        All of our events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted. Scroll down for more information on each of these events. Also, be sure to check out our events calendar if you're curious about future luncheons, discussions, lectures, conferences, and more: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        Thursday Blog Discussion Group

         Thursday, September 4, 7:00 PM
         Berkman Center Conference Room
         23 Everett Street, Second Floor, Cambridge, MA

         The Blog Group welcomes everyone, from newbies to experts, to join us to discuss the world of blogging and social technology online. More information and weekly agendas can be found on the group's blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/bloggroup/. This week, Zach Tumin will talk about his thoughts on how to open up Harvard’s discussions more - both to the public, and within the internal Harvard community.

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        Berkman Center Luncheon Series
         Guests: Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law at HLS
        Topic: The Future of the Net in the Coming Year

         Tuesday, September 9, 12:30 PM
         Berkman Center Conference Room
         23 Everett St., 2nd Floor, Cambridge MA

         Continuing the vigorous debates and conversations sparked by his acclaimed book The Future of the Internet -- And How to Stop It (March 2008), Jonathan Zittrain will lead a discussion on the future of the internet, and the issues and trends we can expect -- and those we can hope for -- in the coming year.

        About Jonathan

        What are the vigorous debates and conversations going on about the Internet right now?  What are we missing?  Future of the Internet -- And How to Stop It author Prof. Jonathan Zittrain will lead a discussion about the issues and trends in the coming year.  Come prepared to help set the agenda!

        Links

         * Event webpage: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4602

        Webcast

         This event will be webcast live. Webcast viewers can join the discussion through IRC text chat or in the virtual world Second Life. For information about our event webcasts and remote participation, see http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/webcast. If you miss the live chat, catch the podcast audio & video at the Interactive section of our website, at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive

        RSVP is required, as space is limited. To RSVP, please send an email to Amar Ashar at rsvp@... by September 8 at 12:00PM

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        United States v. Microsoft: 10 Years Later
        September 12-13 at Harvard Law School
         Register Now: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4517

         Ten years have passed since the U.S. Department of Justice and 20 states filed their landmark antitrust case against Microsoft and the trial of the lawsuit began in federal district court in Washington, D.C.  This major conference, United States v. Microsoft: 10 Years Later, will look back over the last ten years and explore the lasting lessons and deeper meanings of the case for Microsoft, for the software and technology industries, and for antitrust law and enforcement.

        United States v. Microsoft: 10 Years Later, will be held Friday and Saturday, September 12-13, 2008, in Austin Hall at Harvard Law School.  Sponsored by the Law School’s Cyberlaw Clinic and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society, this conference is the first retrospective to examine the lawsuit and its aftermath from the perspective of many of the participants in the original case and trial, as well as leading legal and economic academics and journalists.Conference presenters will include, among many others:

             * David Boies, Partner, Boies, Schiller & Flexner
             * Brad Smith, Sr. VP and General Counsel, Microsoft Corp.
             * David Heiner,  VP and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft Corp.
             * Einer Elhauge, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
             * Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
             * Franklin Fisher, Professor Emeritus, MIT
             * Edward Felten, Professor of Computer Science and Public Affairs, Princeton University
             * Douglas Melamed, Wilmer Hale, Washington, DC
             * Tim Bresnahan, Chair, Dept. of Economics, Stanford University
             * Harry First, Professor, New York University School of Law
             * Andy Gavil, Professor, Howard University School of Law
             * Keith Hylton, Professor, Boston University School of Law
             * Rajiv Chandrasekaran, Washington Post
             * Joe Nocera, author and columnist, New York Times
             * John Wilke, Wall Street Journal

        For more information and registration, visit http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/4557.
         Regular registration is $75, Student registration is $25.

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

         Internet Safety Technical Task Force (ISTTF) Open Meeting
         Tuesday, September 23, 10:00am
         Harvard Law School (room TBA)
        Free and open to the public; seating will be first-come-first-serve.

        The Internet Safety Technical Task Force (ISTTF) is a group of Internet businesses, non-profit organizations, academics, and technology companies that have joined together to identify effective tools and technologies to create a safer environment on the Internet for youth. It was created in February 2008 in accordance with the Joint Statement on Key Principles of Social Networking Safety announced by the Attorneys General Multi-State Working Group on Social Networking and MySpace in January 2008. The scope of the ISTTF’s inquiry is to consider those technologies that industry and end users can utilize to keep children and youth safe on the Internet, with a focus on preventing harmful contact with adults and with other minors.

         This meeting will be an opportunity for members of the public to learn about the work of the Task Force, to explore the different technology-related problems and solutions under consideration, and to raise questions and share ideas. The meeting will be free and open to the public; seating will be first-come-first-serve. Please email jtatlock@... with any questions.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
         by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser

        Berkman Book Release
        Tuesday, September 23, 7:00 PM
         Austin North Classroom, Austin Hall
         Harvard Law School

         The Berkman Center will host a book talk and reception in honor of John Palfrey and Urs Gasser for the release of their book, Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives. Please save the date!

        About Born Digital

        The first generation of “Digital Natives” – children who were born into and raised in the digital world – are coming of age, and soon our world will be reshaped in their image. Our economy, our politics, our culture and even the shape of our family life will be forever transformed.

         But who are these Digital Natives? How are they different from older generations – or “Digital Immigrants” – and what is the world they’re creating going to look like? In Born Digital, leading Internet and technology experts John Palfrey and Urs Gasser offer a sociological portrait of these young people who can seem, even to those merely a generation older, both extraordinarily sophisticated and strangely narrow.

         Based on extensive original research, including interviews with Digital Natives around the world, Born Digital explores a broad range of issues, from the highly philosophical to the purely practical: What does identity mean for young people who have dozens of online profiles and avatars? Should we worry about privacy issues – or is privacy even a relevant concern for Digital Natives? How does the concept of safety translate into an increasingly virtual world?  Are online games addictive, and how do we need to worry about violent video games? What is the Internet's impact on creativity and learning? What lies ahead – socially, professionally, and psychologically – for this generation?

         A smart, practical guide to a brave new world and its complex inhabitants, Born Digital will be essential reading for parents, teachers, and the myriad of confused adults who want to understand the digital present – and shape the digital future.

        Links

        * Event webpage: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/2179
        * Buy the Book: http://borndigitalbook.com/buy.php