Recommendation for a WordPress spam plug-in that isn't Akismet

  • j Baumgart
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hello,

      Does anyone have any thoughts about WordPress spam management tools that aren't Akismet?

      I'm looking for recommendations for a blog that's presently getting more than 100 comment spam per day. I'm very unsatisfied with Akismet and hope there's a different tool or combination of tools available to help me deal with the flood.

      I've found some posts on the Web mentioning BadBehavior, Tan Tan, Spam Karma, Defensio, and others. I'm hoping perhaps one of you has some insight. Since a different group of people has to install the plug-in(s), there's not much flexibility to install and test a variety of plug-ins.

      Thanks in advance!

    • John Eckman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
        You can also try out the Mollom plugin, which requires "suspicious"
        comments to fill out a CAPTCHA. ( http://www.mollom.com/ )

        However, test it first - I found that it was preventing comments on my
        blog because even users successfully filling out the CAPTCHA were
        being told they had gotten it wrong.

        Could have been a temporary error - but resulted in a very frustrating
        experience, filling out multiple CAPTCHAs only to be told you were
        wrong.

        What, dare I ask, has been unsatisfactory about Akismet?

        On one of my blogs, Akismet has blocked 857,188 spam comments over the
        last ~1 year.

        Occasionally it breaks - network service stops responding, and spam
        can pile up quickly - but then you just need to refilter those comments.

        John Eckman
        eckman.john@...
        http://www.johneckman.com/