overview of Pew report on broadband access and online publishing

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 7:09 AM
      Hi everyone,

      I've just posted an overview of the latest report from the Pew Internet
      & American Life Project, which focuses on home broadband access in the
      US and who's posting content to the Internet. Broadband access is up
      across the board, with middle income family access growing at the
      fastest rate. English-speaking Latinos are now almost as likely (41%) to
      have broadband at home as white families (42%), while African American
      families lag a bit behind (31%). Income and education levels continue to
      remain major barriers, though growth was seen at all levels. DSL access
      has become more affordable, though many more households cite speed as
      their reason for getting broadband (57%) compared to the lowering of
      cost (3%), suggesting that more people are willing to pay for it in
      order to gain the benefits of high-speed access.

      To me, though, the most interesting part of the report focuses on online
      content publishing. Overall, 35% of Internet users - 48 million people -
      have posted content to the Internet. Broadband users are more likely to
      post online content than dialup users - 42% versus 27%. This is
      especially true of bloggers and people who manage their own websites.
      While an average of eight percent of Internet users publish their own
      blog, 11% of broadband users had blogs, compared to only four percent of
      dialup users. And amazingly, lower-income users were a bit more likely
      to post content online than higher-income users, while whites _lagged_
      behind African Americans and English-speaking Latinos - 32%, 39% and 42%
      respectively.

      You can download the 26-page report here:
      http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/184/report_display.asp

      My overview of it can be found here:
      http://www.andycarvin.com
      http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2006/06/new_report_says_broa.html