Re: [berkman-thursday] Contemplating an experiment with micropayments - requesting feedback

  • Jenny Attiyeh
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
      Dear Rebecca,
      I think you should give this ad thing a try. And then
      you'll know more about its impact, by judging people's
      section up for people to respond.
      Also -- everyone needs to get paid, so I don't think
      ads are morally wrong. But in my opinion they are
      ugly, and distract from your message.
      That's life, however.
      -Jenny Attiyeh

      --- Deborah Elizabeth Finn

      <http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/29/984468.html>)

      > Dear Berkman Bloggers,
      >
      > As I've previously mentioned in my blog, I'm
      > struggling to understand
      > the ramifications of a networked economy and
      > intricacies of
      > micropayments.
      >
      > This afternoon, I felt inspired by the first-rate
      > Deweyan education
      > that I received at Bennington College and by the
      > talk by Roger Schank
      > that I heard last week. The possibility of a
      > small-scale hands-on
      > learning experience occurred to me: I could sign up
      > for the Google
      > AdSense program, and experiment with a tiny stream
      > of micropayments by
      > running relevant Google-generated advertisements on
      > my blog
      > <http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com>. I could
      > then report back to
      > nonprofit organizations that are considering this as
      > a fundraising
      > strategy.
      >
      > But before I plunge into this new economic order,
      > I'd like to put ask
      > members of this group what you think.
      >
      > If my blog carried Google ads...
      >
      > - Would the advertisements undermine your trust
      > in my integrity as
      > a fair and balanced advisor to nonprofit and
      > philanthropic
      > organizations?
      >
      > - Would the advertisements undermine your
      > aesthetic experience of
      > browsing the blog?
      >
      > - Would the advertisements have some other
      > unintended negative
      > consequence that you can envision but that has not
      > yet occurred to me?
      >
      > I have to admit it's difficult for me to envision
      > that any reader is
      > that highly invested in my blog as a bastion of
      > integrity or as a
      > source of aesthetic pleasure, but I am sincerely
      > interested in
      > feedback and reflections about whether I should
      > undertake this
      > experiment.
      >
      > Many thanks and best regards from Deborah
      >
      > Deborah Elizabeth Finn
      > Boston, Massachusetts, USA
      > deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
      > http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
      > http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Rebecca MacKinnon
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
        Jenny,
        It was Deborah Finn who sent out the query.
        I'm sorry to have missed Deborah's talk on nonprofit blogging yesterday.
        Hope it went well.
        Rebecca

        Jenny Attiyeh wrote:

        >Dear Rebecca,
        >I think you should give this ad thing a try. And then
        >you'll know more about its impact, by judging people's
        >section up for people to respond.
        >Also -- everyone needs to get paid, so I don't think
        >ads are morally wrong. But in my opinion they are
        >ugly, and distract from your message.
        >That's life, however.
        >-Jenny Attiyeh
        >
        >--- Deborah Elizabeth Finn
        ><deborah_elizabeth_finn@...> wrote:
        >

        >>(A version of this item, with live links, is
        >>available through my blog
        >>at
        >>

        ><http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/29/984468.html>)
        >

        >>Dear Berkman Bloggers,
        >>
        >>As I've previously mentioned in my blog, I'm
        >>struggling to understand
        >>the ramifications of a networked economy and
        >>intricacies of
        >>micropayments.
        >>
        >>This afternoon, I felt inspired by the first-rate
        >>Deweyan education
        >>that I received at Bennington College and by the
        >>talk by Roger Schank
        >>that I heard last week. The possibility of a
        >>small-scale hands-on
        >>learning experience occurred to me: I could sign up
        >>for the Google
        >>AdSense program, and experiment with a tiny stream
        >>of micropayments by
        >>running relevant Google-generated advertisements on
        >>my blog
        >><http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com>. I could
        >>then report back to
        >>nonprofit organizations that are considering this as
        >>a fundraising
        >>strategy.
        >>
        >>But before I plunge into this new economic order,
        >>I'd like to put ask
        >>members of this group what you think.
        >>
        >>If my blog carried Google ads...
        >>
        >>- Would the advertisements undermine your trust
        >>in my integrity as
        >>a fair and balanced advisor to nonprofit and
        >>philanthropic
        >>organizations?
        >>
        >>- Would the advertisements undermine your
        >>aesthetic experience of
        >>browsing the blog?
        >>
        >>- Would the advertisements have some other
        >>unintended negative
        >>consequence that you can envision but that has not
        >>yet occurred to me?
        >>
        >>I have to admit it's difficult for me to envision
        >>that any reader is
        >>that highly invested in my blog as a bastion of
        >>integrity or as a
        >>source of aesthetic pleasure, but I am sincerely
        >>interested in
        >>feedback and reflections about whether I should
        >>undertake this
        >>experiment.
        >>
        >>Many thanks and best regards from Deborah
        >>
        >>Deborah Elizabeth Finn
        >>Boston, Massachusetts, USA
        >>deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
        >>http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
        >>http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn

        Rebecca MacKinnon

        Research Fellow, Berkman Ctr. for Internet & Society
        www.GlobalVoicesOnline.org
        "The world is talking. Are you listening?"

        Personal weblog: www.RConversation.com
        North Korea zone: www.NKzone.org
        email: rmackinnon@...
      • Jenny Attiyeh
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
          Woops!! I'm losing my mind!!

          --- Rebecca MacKinnon
          <rmackinnon@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >>yet occurred to me?
          > >>
          > >>I have to admit it's difficult for me to envision
          > >>that any reader is
          > >>that highly invested in my blog as a bastion of
          > >>integrity or as a
          > >>source of aesthetic pleasure, but I am sincerely
          > >>interested in
          > >>feedback and reflections about whether I should
          > >>undertake this
          > >>experiment.
          > >>
          > >>Many thanks and best regards from Deborah
          > >>
          > >>Deborah Elizabeth Finn
          > >>Boston, Massachusetts, USA
          > >>deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
          > >>http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
          > >>http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn

          > --
          > Rebecca MacKinnon
          >
          > Research Fellow, Berkman Ctr. for Internet & Society
          > www.GlobalVoicesOnline.org
          > "The world is talking. Are you listening?"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Erica George
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
            Actually, we had Food Blogs with Bill Ives yesterday
            (which was excellent fun - and just try viewing food
            blogs without getting hungry!). Nonprofit blogging
            with Deborah, Beth Kanter, and others will be next
            week, July 7.

            --- Rebecca MacKinnon
            > I'm sorry to have missed Deborah's talk on nonprofit
            > blogging yesterday.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Lisa Williams
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
              Rebecca:  Good news, you didn't miss it!  The nonprofit blogging session was moved to next week.

              The new and improved schedule is up on the Berkman Thursday blog :http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/thursdaymeetings/

              In short:
              Nonprofit blogs: June 30
              Understanding how Search Engines read your Blog: July 7
              July (?I can't remember off the top of my head, 14th or 21st?) Podcasting with Andrew Grumet, author of Gigadial (and parts of iPodder) and CC Chapman of Accident Hash

              We're also soliciting ideas for the fall lineup.  Think big!  As I said at last night's meeting  I'm willing to offer myself up to suffer any embarrassment caused by phoning strangers up and asking them to come and join in the conversation with us.

              Ideas thus far (I haven't actually asked any of these people yet)
              Cam Marlowe on his thesis (a research project about blogs)
              Chris Lydon, Brendan Greeley, and Mary McGrath to talk about the startup of their new blog-powered radio show
              Chuck Olsen to do a screening of his unreleased (but insanely great) Blogumentary, maybe paired with a "Best of Videoblogging" emceed by Steve Garfield

              Can we sneak Hoder into the country? I love Hoder.
              Chris Albritton?
              Dooce?

              Jenny Attiyeh wrote:

[...]

              Lisa Williams
              lisa@...
              Lisa's weblog: http://www.cadence90.com/wp/
            • Beth Kanter
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                And in the spirit of last night's meeting, I blogged my appetizers at
                Smile Thai
                http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2005/07/thursday_berkma.html

                Actually, we had Food Blogs with Bill Ives yesterday
                (which was excellent fun - and just try viewing food
                blogs without getting hungry!). Nonprofit blogging
                with Deborah, Beth Kanter, and others will be next
                week, July 7.

                --- Rebecca MacKinnon
                > I'm sorry to have missed Deborah's talk on nonprofit
                > blogging yesterday.

              • Jenny Attiyeh
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Hi Lisa,
                  Any chance we can move the podcasting evening from the
                  21st to the 14th? There's a conflict with the seminar
                  at the Boston Foundation that evening. (Deborah sent
                  us an e-mail suggesting we attend, and I would very
                  much like to!)
                  Just a thought.
                  Jenny

                  === message truncated ===

                  Yahoo! Sports
                  http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                • Erica George
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Some other ideas for future meetings discussed
                    yesterday and/or earlier are:

                    * Cameron Marlow - I actually have contacted him
                    already, based on the discussion on the list last
                    week. He's swamped with dissertation work until early
                    August. I suggested 8/11 as a possible date to him,
                    but he'd rather wait to set it in stone til he's a
                    little farther along. So consider him booked, but just
                    not 100% on the date.

                    * We talked about doing a possible report-back from
                    BlogHer, which would most logically fit in as part of
                    the session on 8/4.

                    * I forget when it is but folks going to Wikimania
                    will probably want to do a similar report-back, which
                    could logically fit in as part of the agenda on 8/11.

                    * Nebulously in the potential future is that thing
                    with the people doing that blog community thing (yes,
                    couldn't be vaguer) that j told us about.

                    * That Frassle update from Shimon, tentatively slated
                    to 8/18.

                    * Ivan Askwith, who we met yesterday (aka "Plaid" for
                    those who were in on the fun), is interested in
                    leading a session on celebrity blogs in September.

                    * j points out that in August, we might want to talk
                    about how to recruit new students from the various
                    area schools into blog group. And then have a few cool
                    things planned for September. Maybe we could add this
                    to the agenda for part of 8/26.

                    Honestly I think we should hold off on trying to do
                    too much that's too snazzy in August when lots of
                    folks may be on vacations, etc. I think between the
                    various things discussed ysterday, we will have no
                    trouble whatsoever filling our August schedule with
                    what we've already got. So I think any new exciting
                    stuff people think of beyond the upcoming items we
                    talked about last night should be slated for
                    September.

                    And again, though I know I may be getting boring in
                    saying this, I really strongly caution against booking
                    up every single week. My concern is that without open
                    weeks, we won't be able to jump on new opportunities
                    in a timely enough way to seem responsive, and that
                    group members, especially newbies, won't feel that
                    there's space for them to suggest things as they come
                    up.

                    Erica

                    --- Lisa Williams <lisa@...> wrote:
                    > Ideas thus far (I haven't actually asked any of
                    > these people yet)
                    > Cam Marlowe on his thesis (a research project about
                    > blogs)
                    > Chris Lydon, Brendan Greeley, and Mary McGrath to
                    > talk about the startup
                    > of their new blog-powered radio show
                    > Chuck Olsen to do a screening of his unreleased (but
                    > insanely great)
                    > Blogumentary, maybe paired with a "Best of
                    > Videoblogging" emceed by
                    > Steve Garfield
                    >
                    > Can we sneak Hoder into the country? I love Hoder.
                    > Chris Albritton?
                    > Dooce?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Erica George
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                      Currently scheduled on July 14th is Amanda
                      Watlington's session on search engines. So any
                      schedule changes would have to be discussed with
                      Amanda too.

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                      Discover Yahoo!
                      http://discover.yahoo.com/
                    • Jenny Attiyeh
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                        I hear you. Trying to change things around sounds
                        messy...
                        -- Jenny

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Lisa Williams
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 1, 2005
                          Actually, I had originally slotted that one for the 14th, but CC
                          Chapman, one of the speakers, said that he couldn't make that day and
                          asked me to move it to the 21st.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                            One more ... What about blogs by artists or the artworld?

                            --- Lisa Williams <lisa@...> wrote:
                            > Ideas thus far (I haven't actually asked any of
                            > these people yet)
                            > Cam Marlowe on his thesis (a research project about
                            > blogs)
                            > Chris Lydon, Brendan Greeley, and Mary McGrath to
                            > talk about the startup
                            > of their new blog-powered radio show
                            > Chuck Olsen to do a screening of his unreleased (but
                            > insanely great)
                            > Blogumentary, maybe paired with a "Best of
                            > Videoblogging" emceed by
                            > Steve Garfield
                            >
                            > Can we sneak Hoder into the country? I love Hoder.
                            > Chris Albritton?
                            > Dooce?

                          • j
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                              --- Beth Kanter wrote:

                              > One more ... What about blogs by artists or the
                              > artworld?

                              WBUR (http://www.wbur.org/) supposedly has information
                              about art weblogs somewhere right now. I keep hearing
                              it promoted on the radio. I couldn't find it on their
                              Web site, though, so it might be something special via
                              their e-mail Arts Newsletter
                              (http://www.wbur.org/newsletters/).

                              __________________________________
                              Yahoo! Mail
                            • Timothy Jarrett
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                                If anyone is interested, I can do a brief talk about measuring online
                                traffic--what the difference is between a visit and a page view, how
                                do you get those wonderful stats, what does "no referrer" really mean.

                                (I used to do this for a living at Microsoft.)

                                Best
                                Tim

                                --
                                Tim Jarrett
                                toj8j@...
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                                  I have a friend who is an artist in London and started a blog and, as a
                                  result, met other art bloggers there. Here post I did on her with a list of
                                  her favorite art blogs with links to them. Like food blogs, there is a micro
                                  blogosphere on the topic.

                                  http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km/2005/02/fluid_thinking_.html

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                                    I would vote for this one.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 2, 2005
                                      On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Timothy Jarrett wrote:

                                      > If anyone is interested, I can do a brief talk about measuring online
                                      > traffic--what the difference is between a visit and a page view, how
                                      > do you get those wonderful stats, what does "no referrer" really mean.

                                      I'm certainly interested :)

                                      SJ
                                    • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                        Dear Berkman Bloggers,

                                        Yes, indeed! We will see you tomorrow evening!

                                        (I've been out of town, so please accept my apologies for not
                                        responding sooner. I actually managed to go on vacation WITHOUT my
                                        laptop. Wow.)

                                        Best regards from Deborah

                                        Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                        Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                                        deborah_elizabeth_finn@...

                                        On 7/1/05, Erica George <erica_george78@...> wrote:
                                        > Actually, we had Food Blogs with Bill Ives yesterday
                                        > (which was excellent fun - and just try viewing food
                                        > blogs without getting hungry!). Nonprofit blogging
                                        > with Deborah, Beth Kanter, and others will be next
                                        > week, July 7.
                                      • j
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                          Hello,

                                          Would it be possible for me to take up about fifteen
                                          minutes of time on Thursday night? I have a sudden,
                                          important meeting on Friday morning about something
                                          quite relevant to our group that I can't discuss in a
                                          public forum and I would really like to pick the
                                          group's collective brains.

                                          Thanks!

                                          --- Deborah Elizabeth Finn wrote:

                                          > Dear Berkman Bloggers,
                                          >
                                          > Yes, indeed! We will see you tomorrow evening!
                                          >
                                          > (I've been out of town, so please accept my
                                          > apologies for not
                                          > responding sooner. I actually managed to go on
                                          > vacation WITHOUT my
                                          > laptop. Wow.)
                                          >
                                          > Best regards from Deborah
                                          >
                                          > Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                          > Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                                          > deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
                                          > http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
                                          > http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn

                                          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                                        • Shimon Rura
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                            This is fine with me, although the blog group is not really a private
                                            discussion.

                                            I think we should set a time and talk about it after the nonprofits
                                            discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on the discussion.
                                            Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on, and people say
                                            irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can participate.

                                            So here's what I suggest:
                                            7:00 introductions/setup
                                            7:10 nonprofits blogging discussion
                                            7:50 j's secret collective-brain-picking
                                            8:05 other business/continued discussion/slack time
                                            8:15 off to dinner

                                            shimon.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                              No, the group isn't private. Sorry for the confusion.
                                              What I meant is that the topic isn't something I can
                                              discuss in an archived, online forum like this one or
                                              have magically appear on a weblog, etc., etc.

                                              I'm pretty sure our meetings are really only supposed
                                              to be an hour long. We've been really bad about not
                                              being strict about the time.

                                              --- Shimon Rura <shimonrura@...> wrote:

                                              > This is fine with me, although the blog group is not
                                              > really a private
                                              > discussion.
                                              >
                                              > I think we should set a time and talk about it after
                                              > the nonprofits
                                              > discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on
                                              > the discussion.
                                              > Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on,
                                              > and people say
                                              > irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can
                                              > participate.
                                              >
                                              > So here's what I suggest:
                                              > 7:00 introductions/setup
                                              > 7:10 nonprofits blogging discussion
                                              > 7:50 j's secret collective-brain-picking
                                              > 8:05 other business/continued discussion/slack time
                                              > 8:15 off to dinner
                                              >
                                              > shimon.
                                              >
                                              > On 7/6/05, j <jkbaumga@...> wrote:
                                              > > Hello,
                                              > >
                                              > > Would it be possible for me to take up about
                                              > fifteen
                                              > > minutes of time on Thursday night? I have a
                                              > sudden,
                                              > > important meeting on Friday morning about
                                              > something
                                              > > quite relevant to our group that I can't discuss
                                              > in a
                                              > > public forum and I would really like to pick the
                                              > > group's collective brains.
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks!

                                              __________________________________
                                              Yahoo! Mail
                                            • Dean Landsman
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                Although it drives me a little nuts to say it, if this is a non-public
                                                discussion, you might want to pay attention to turning off the webstream
                                                mike and asking that the discussion not go up on the IRC chat, too.
                                                Gee, now I feel so left out. Well, left wing, anyway.

                                                Lurking in NY and occasionally visiting The Hub, your web-connected
                                                participant,

                                                --Dean

                                                Shimon Rura wrote:

                                                >This is fine with me, although the blog group is not really a private
                                                >discussion.
                                                >
                                                >I think we should set a time and talk about it after the nonprofits
                                                >discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on the discussion.
                                                >Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on, and people say
                                                >irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can participate.
                                                >
                                                >So here's what I suggest:
                                                >7:00 introductions/setup
                                                >7:10 nonprofits blogging discussion
                                                >7:50 j's secret collective-brain-picking
                                                >8:05 other business/continued discussion/slack time
                                                >8:15 off to dinner
                                                >
                                                >shimon.
                                                >
                                                >On 7/6/05, j <jkbaumga@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                >>Hello,
                                                >>
                                                >>Would it be possible for me to take up about fifteen
                                                >>minutes of time on Thursday night? I have a sudden,
                                                >>important meeting on Friday morning about something
                                                >>quite relevant to our group that I can't discuss in a
                                                >>public forum and I would really like to pick the
                                                >>group's collective brains.
                                                >>
                                                >>Thanks!

                                                >>--- Deborah Elizabeth Finn wrote:
                                                >>

                                                >>>Dear Berkman Bloggers,
                                                >>>
                                                >>>Yes, indeed! We will see you tomorrow evening!
                                                >>>
                                                >>>(I've been out of town, so please accept my
                                                >>>apologies for not
                                                >>>responding sooner. I actually managed to go on
                                                >>>vacation WITHOUT my
                                                >>>laptop. Wow.)
                                                >>>
                                                >>>Best regards from Deborah
                                                >>>
                                                >>>Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                                >>>Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                                                >>>deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
                                                >>>http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
                                                >>>http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn

                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                  On 7/6/05, Shimon Rura <shimonrura@...> wrote:

                                                  > I think we should set a time and talk about it after the nonprofits
                                                  > discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on the discussion.
                                                  > Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on, and people say
                                                  > irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can participate.

                                                  Tell us how you really feel, Shimon - don't hold back!

                                                  Seriously, now. I think that your proposed timeline for tomorrow
                                                  evening's meeting is just fine.

                                                  I've told both Beth and Brian to think in terms of ten or fifteen
                                                  minutes each, and I don't suppose that I'll go on for very long
                                                  either, since many of you have already seen (or heard about) my blog
                                                  on technology for the nonprofit sector.

                                                  Best regards from Deborah

                                                  Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                                  Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                                                  deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                    Deborah,

                                                    I know you're joking, but I do want to clarify that my statement was
                                                    not in specific reference to any person or topic. Discussions on any
                                                    subject, social or technical or political or anything, tend to get
                                                    more and more general if they go on with no leadership or visible
                                                    endpoint. Eventually it is so general that anyone can bring up
                                                    virtually anything ... and that means the discussion is about nothing.
                                                    We've had a couple of meetings that, around closing time, meander
                                                    into this territory far too much for my tastes, and while I may be too
                                                    shy to interrupt these discussions in person, I can at least complain
                                                    about it on a mailing list! ;)

                                                    shimon.

                                                    P.S. In other news, in fact news so "other" it's not news at all, if
                                                    you need a smile you should listen to this song about Ikea:

                                                    http://www.jonathancoulton.com/music/Jonathan%20Coulton%20-%20Ikea.mp3

                                                    (by Jonathan Coulton, http://www.jonathancoulton.com)

                                                    On 7/6/05, Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                                    <deborah_elizabeth_finn@...> wrote:
                                                    > On 7/6/05, Shimon Rura <shimonrura@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > > I think we should set a time and talk about it after the nonprofits
                                                    > > discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on the discussion.
                                                    > > Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on, and people say
                                                    > > irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can participate.
                                                    > >

                                                    > Tell us how you really feel, Shimon - don't hold back!
                                                    >
                                                    > Seriously, now. I think that your proposed timeline for tomorrow
                                                    > evening's meeting is just fine.
                                                    >
                                                    > I've told both Beth and Brian to think in terms of ten or fifteen
                                                    > minutes each, and I don't suppose that I'll go on for very long
                                                    > either, since many of you have already seen (or heard about) my blog
                                                    > on technology for the nonprofit sector.
                                                    >
                                                    > Best regards from Deborah
                                                    >
                                                    > Deborah Elizabeth Finn
                                                    > Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                                                    > deborah_elizabeth_finn@...
                                                    > http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog
                                                    > http://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn
                                                    >

                                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  • j
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                      re: leadership during these meetings with topics

                                                      I think there's a tacit understanding during these
                                                      meetings with special topics that the people who are
                                                      speaking are in charge of running the discussion
                                                      during their portion of the meeting. I think that
                                                      might lead to some confusion on meeting days when
                                                      people are waiting for someone to moderate who may not
                                                      realize s/he's supposed to be moderating. I don't
                                                      think this has been a major problem, yet. Maybe we
                                                      need to be more specific on the meeting days about who
                                                      is moderating. Someone speaking who doesn't want to
                                                      moderate always has the option of asking Wendy, Erica,
                                                      or myself to moderate.

                                                      re: boredom during the meetings

                                                      Sometimes it's difficult to tell when boredom might be
                                                      creeping into a discussion. We've had some lively
                                                      discussions during recent meetings, even meetings that
                                                      have run long. While we can't guarantee that everyone
                                                      will be intellectually stimulated during all the
                                                      meetings, contributing to the discussion can help
                                                      alleviate boredom. If you have something to add,
                                                      speak up. Is there a thread you want to follow? A
                                                      direction you'd like to take the conversation?

                                                      When it's obvious everyone in the room is bored, it's
                                                      easy to call a meeting to an end, change the topic, or
                                                      move to the next agenda item.

                                                      re: secrets

                                                      While I realize it is unfair to our audio participants
                                                      to have us turn off the audio feed for discussions
                                                      people do not want Webcast, it is something we've done
                                                      on occasion in the past and will probably continue to
                                                      do in the future. I think it's important to give
                                                      people the option of not having what they say recorded
                                                      or broadcast, especially when it's easy to turn off
                                                      the mic for one agenda item.

                                                      --- Shimon Rura wrote:

                                                      > Deborah,
                                                      >
                                                      > I know you're joking, but I do want to clarify that
                                                      > my statement was
                                                      > not in specific reference to any person or topic.
                                                      > Discussions on any
                                                      > subject, social or technical or political or
                                                      > anything, tend to get
                                                      > more and more general if they go on with no
                                                      > leadership or visible
                                                      > endpoint. Eventually it is so general that anyone
                                                      > can bring up
                                                      > virtually anything ... and that means the discussion
                                                      > is about nothing.
                                                      > We've had a couple of meetings that, around closing
                                                      > time, meander
                                                      > into this territory far too much for my tastes, and
                                                      > while I may be too
                                                      > shy to interrupt these discussions in person, I can
                                                      > at least complain
                                                      > about it on a mailing list! ;)
                                                      >
                                                      > shimon.

                                                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                                                    • Susan Kaup
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                        If tomorrow night's meeting does indeed wrap up by around 8:15pm,
                                                        would anyone be interested in joining the dinner with Kevin Smokler
                                                        that I've set up at Smile Thai Cafe? He's speaking at the Harvard
                                                        Book Store at 6:30 PM and then dinner is at (around) 8:15pm. Though
                                                        there's a good chance it might start closer to 8;30 PM.

                                                        Kevin is a blogger from San Francisco who wrote a book called
                                                        "Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times." If you'd like to join
                                                        us, let me know and I'll make sure you've got a seat. Or, feel free
                                                        to just show up. it's a big place and I'm sure we can make room.
                                                        (Though the organizer in me does love a head's up to make room at the
                                                        table for you in advance.)

                                                        I wrote about the dinner and Kevin's book on my weblog at:

                                                        http://tinyurl.com/87czv

                                                        There's an event site at:

                                                        http://tinyurl.com/9lq8c

                                                        Cheers,

                                                        Sooz

                                                        On 7/6/05, Shimon Rura <shimonrura@...> wrote:
                                                        > This is fine with me, although the blog group is not really a private
                                                        > discussion.
                                                        >
                                                        > I think we should set a time and talk about it after the nonprofits
                                                        > discussion. I like this because it puts a cap on the discussion.
                                                        > Without such a cap, discussions tend to drone on, and people say
                                                        > irrelevant and boring stuff just so they can participate.
                                                        >
                                                        > So here's what I suggest:
                                                        > 7:00 introductions/setup
                                                        > 7:10 nonprofits blogging discussion
                                                        > 7:50 j's secret collective-brain-picking
                                                        > 8:05 other business/continued discussion/slack time
                                                        > 8:15 off to dinner

                                                      • Jenny Attiyeh
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                          I'll be there -- I'm taping Kevin's talk at the book
                                                          store for my show, which unfortunately coincides with
                                                          the nonprofit blogger discussion.
                                                          See you around 8.
                                                          -Jenny

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                        • Ann
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005
                                                            :) What a great song - "Norsemen" and "divorced men" is a pretty fine
                                                            rhyme. Wish there was an Ikea in the Boston area.

                                                            --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Shimon Rura <shimonrura@g...>

                                                          • malw@citysquareconsulting.com
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jul 6, 2005

                                                              Sounds like a good idea.