update on my tsunami-info aggregator

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      A couple days ago I created a Kinja digest of news feeds and blogs from
      tsunami survivors, with a public login and password so others could
      contribute to it. It generally seemed like a good idea, but someone
      decided to change the password and lock others out. I was able to reset
      the password, but it got me looking for alternatives.

      So, I started to experiment with my own simple aggregator located here
      on my blog:

      http://www.andycarvin.com/tsunami.html

      I've even bought the domain name Tsunami-Info.org, which, surprisingly,
      was still available on New Year's Eve. The URL isn't up and running yet,
      but I'll let you know when it's ready.

      As you'll see if you look at the page, it's pretty rudimentary, almost
      embarassingly so, as my coding skills are very, very weak -- so weak I
      simply tweaked the template for my blog, which certainly isn't very
      original. But functionally speaking, I've managed to get Movable Type to
      work with a couple of rss-related plugins (mt-rssfeed and mt-list) to
      pull together what I have so far.

      Essentially, it's a collection of the five most recent posts from a
      dozen or so news feeds and blogs, including Yahoo!/Reuters, the BBC,
      South-East Asia and Tsunami Blog (SEA EAT), Crossroads Dispatches and
      Emergency Action Blog. The most poignant feed comes from SEA EAT's
      Flickr feed: a stream of photos and descriptions of people still missing
      from the tsunami. It sends chills up my spine every time I see them.

      Anyway, it's a start; hopefully the new URL will be ready before the end
      of the weekend. I'd love to know what people think....

      happy new year,
      ac

      --
      Andy Carvin