Re: virtual blogs

  • elalpei
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 8, 2004
      One of the features of my blog which was developed by the guys in
      PEI at silverorange is that the categories have their own page and a
      separate RSS feed.

      See the category page for posts on my blog about my town of Kingston
      Ontario: http://www.genx40.com/archives/kingstonand/

      Presumably you could create a multi-author virtual blog as you call
      it by use of standard categorization and then feed the virtual blog
      as a public aggregator from the RSS feeds of each blog's
      corresponding category. This creates an automated topical blog on
      each category drawing from all subscribed sources. Each topical
      aggregator blog could look different and have its own blog roll and
      topical articles system.

      Then, create a comprehensive set of category-based topical
      aggregator blogs subscribing to RSS feeds according to a practical
      taxonomy of categories and you have created a universal automated
      blog.

      Alan
      www.genx40.com
      beerblog.genx40.com

      --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Rick Heller <neurosf@y...>
      wrote:
      > Is there any way to create "virtual blogs" using
      > categories in Movable Type. I explored it over the
      > weekend, but it seems to me that there is no way to do
      > it, at least with MT 2.661.
      >
      > My idea is to have my main blog, Centerfield, have
      > virtual blogs which might look like Centerfield, but
      > only contain posts of a specific category. The
      > problem is that the MT category template only creates
      > a single page for each category, and this could be
      > very long. Ideally, you could view the date archives,
      > but filter by category. I can't figure out how to do
      > this.
      >
      > I was also hoping that these different category blogs
      > could look different--even having different blogrolls.
      > Thus, a post related to the Democratic Party would be
      > on the virtual Democrat blog, with its own blogroll,
      > and a post related to republicans on the GOP virtual
      > blog, yet both posts would appear on the main
      > Centerfield blog.
      >
      > I would also like these virtual blogs to have URL's
      > which could be shared, so that other blogs could
      > blogroll the virtual blog.
      >
      > Can Frassle do this?
      >
      > Rick Heller
    • Pito Salas
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 8, 2004
        Thanks. Looks like it worked!

        - Pito

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 9, 2004
          Now, I realize Shimon probably knows Frassle better
          than anyone, but I cringed when I read his reply
          saying Frassle can't do what Rick wants to do. I don't
          think the answer is a simple "No."

          Frassle does have features enabling users to build
          pages similar to what Rick's looking for.

          Just to prove Shimon wrong (I mean that in a teasing
          way), I built one myself using Frassle's Publisher:
          http://frassle.net/jkbaumga/rick.

          There's a very short blogroll on the right. On the
          left are posts from various sources limited by
          category, including one section of posts from similar
          categories on different blogs (Frassle).

          Users currently cannot change the color or the
          appearance of this page, so it wouldn't be possible to
          make the site look exactly like other pages on
          Centerfield.

          Another way Rick could use Frassle to do this is to
          set up such pages using the Publisher, then take the
          feeds from various blocks and place them on other
          sites that look like Centerfield. That's a bit more
          complicated, but the pages would have the look of
          Centerfield and be on the same server.

          Still another way is to run the feeds through Frassle
          to get a bit of Javascript that converts RSS to HTML
          to place on a site. That would work for the blog
          posts, but it wouldn't help with the blogroll.

          Of course, maybe I am missing something entirely and
          it isn't possible to do any of this with Frassle.

          Perhaps a future version of Frassle will be able to do
          what Rick would like to do much better.

          --- shimon@... wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 08:37:07AM -0800, Rick
          > Heller wrote:
          > > Is there any way to create "virtual blogs" using
          > > categories in Movable Type. I explored it over
          > the
          > > weekend, but it seems to me that there is no way
          > to do
          > > it, at least with MT 2.661.
          >
          > <snip>
          >
          > > Can Frassle do this?
          > >
          > > Rick Heller
          >
          > Rick,
          >
          > I smiled when I read this last line. It was just
          > beyond the first screen of
          > my email reader. I had read most of your message,
          > and was thinking what an
          > interesting feature request it was. The kind that
          > sets off a light
          > somewhere and offers a tiny bit of guidance in the
          > black forest of software
          > design.
          >
          > But to answer your question: frassle does not do
          > this, and I'm not aware of
          > any content management system with a truly elegant
          > solution to this
          > problem. I started sketching one, though.
          >
          > Thanks, Rick!!
          >
          > shimon.

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • mfidelman
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 10, 2004
            I'm pretty sure that Drupal can do this.

            --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Rick Heller <neurosf@y...> wrote:
            > Is there any way to create "virtual blogs" using
            > categories in Movable Type. I explored it over the
            > weekend, but it seems to me that there is no way to do
            > it, at least with MT 2.661.
            >
            > My idea is to have my main blog, Centerfield, have
            > virtual blogs which might look like Centerfield, but
            > only contain posts of a specific category. The
            > problem is that the MT category template only creates
            > a single page for each category, and this could be
            > very long. Ideally, you could view the date archives,
            > but filter by category. I can't figure out how to do
            > this.
            >
            > I was also hoping that these different category blogs
            > could look different--even having different blogrolls.
            > Thus, a post related to the Democratic Party would be
            > on the virtual Democrat blog, with its own blogroll,
            > and a post related to republicans on the GOP virtual
            > blog, yet both posts would appear on the main
            > Centerfield blog.
            >
            > I would also like these virtual blogs to have URL's
            > which could be shared, so that other blogs could
            > blogroll the virtual blog.
            >
            > Can Frassle do this?
            >
            > Rick Heller
          • Rick Heller
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 10, 2004
              Thanks for taking a look at this.

              Any plans for dinner tomorrow in lieu of a meeting?

              Rick

            • Jessica Baumgart
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hello,

                There will be no blog group meeting at the Berkman
                Center tomorrow (11/11) evening because of the
                Veterans Day holiday.

                If people want to gather somewhere for dinner, that
                would be cool. If someone comes up with a plan, I can
                post it to the blog if I'm near a computer. Posting
                comments on that blog could work, too.

                I am not exactly sure what my plans will be, but if I
                can be at dinner, I certainly will be there.

                I realize it's easy for a lot of people to get to
                Harvard Square, but what about meeting at another
                square for a change? Perhaps Central, Porter, or Davis
                or ... ?

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Hello,

                  Quite a few group members have nudged me recently
                  about doing dim sum again, so let's gather at 11 am
                  this Sunday, 11/14, at Chau Chow City, 83 Essex
                  Street, in Chinatown. Friends, Romans, countrymen,
                  significant others, and family members are welcome,
                  too.

                  More details are on the Thursday Meetings at Berkman
                  Blog, like how to get to Chau Chow City:
                  http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/thursdaymeetings/2004/11/10#a203.

                  It would be greatly appreciated if you could let us
                  know if you will be joining us so we can get a table
                  big enough.

                  We're usually there for a while, so if you can't make
                  it right at 11 am, it's okay to join us a little bit
                  later.

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Jack Hodgson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                    --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Baumgart <jkbaumga@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > There will be no blog group meeting at the Berkman
                    > Center tomorrow...\
                    > If people want to gather somewhere for dinner,

                    Dinner would be good. How about Cambridge Commons, or maybe that Thai place we
                    at at recently?

                    -- Jack Hodgson
                  • jain@wso.williams.edu
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                      I would also like to get together for dinner. Can we handle the grease
                      of Pizzaria Uno? Or, it would be nice to try some place in Davis or
                      somewhere else further afield.

                      Josh

                      --
                      Serbia deploys peacekeeping forces to U.S.
                      -The Onion
                      On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 01:03:44PM -0000, Jack Hodgson wrote:

                      > --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Baumgart <jkbaumga@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > There will be no blog group meeting at the Berkman
                      > > Center tomorrow...\
                      > > If people want to gather somewhere for dinner,
                      >
                      > Dinner would be good. How about Cambridge Commons, or maybe that Thai place we
                      > at at recently?
                      >
                      > -- Jack Hodgson
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bill Ives
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                        I will not be able to attend dinner this week and plan to be back next week.
                        Bill

                        I would also like to get together for dinner. Can we handle the grease of
                        Pizzaria Uno? Or, it would be nice to try some place in Davis or somewhere
                        else further afield.

                        Josh

                        --
                        Serbia deploys peacekeeping forces to U.S.
                        -The Onion
                        On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 01:03:44PM -0000, Jack Hodgson wrote:

                        > --- In berkman-thursday@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Baumgart
                        > <jkbaumga@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > There will be no blog group meeting at the Berkman Center
                        > > tomorrow...\ If people want to gather somewhere for dinner,
                        >
                        > Dinner would be good. How about Cambridge Commons, or maybe that Thai
                        > place we at at recently?
                        >
                        > -- Jack Hodgson
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/V2holB/TM
                      • Jack Hodgson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                          Hi. FYI, FWIW, since we apparently haven't yet reached a consensus for tonight, I've
                          made some other plans. Hope to see everyone next week.

                          -- Jack Hodgson
                        • Jessica Baumgart
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                            I have Pizzeria Uno coupons I can donate to a good
                            cause. For a change of scenery, how about the one
                            across from the Porter Square T station along
                            Somerville Avenue?

                            I'm still not completely sure I can be at dinner,
                            though. I may not know until 7-ish.

                            If people do actually decide to do dinner, can someone
                            make sure details make it to the Thursday Meetings
                            blog? A comment on the post for tonight's meeting will
                            be sufficient.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 13, 2004
                              Hello,

                              I'm not going to let a little bit of snow keep me away
                              from hot tea and dim sum. Perhaps I'll wear my lobster
                              hat, since it keeps me quite warm.

                              Join me at 11 am this Sunday, 11/14, at Chau Chow
                              City, 83 Essex Street, in Chinatown. Friends, Romans,
                              countrymen, significant others, and family members are
                              welcome, too.

                              More details are on the Thursday Meetings at Berkman
                              Blog, like how to get to Chau Chow City:
                              http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/thursdaymeetings/2004/11/10#a203.

                              I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me
                              know if you will be joining me so I can get a table
                              big enough. I've had three RSVPs so far.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 13, 2004
                                I think I'll be there. Unless I stay out too late
                                tonight :D
                                Erica