Audubon Alaska eBird workshop: 4/20/09, Anchorage

  • Beth Peluso
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2009

      I thought I'd send this around for anyone who is interested (and will be in Anchorage!).

      Beth Peluso, Juneau.

      Audubon Alaska , with support from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, has worked hard to develop Alaska eBird, a growing online database that is revolutionizing the way the birding community reports and accesses information about birds. Now is your chance to learn how to submit your own observations and to view and explore this vast database of records on bird distributions and abundance. Join us April 20, 2009, for a one-day workshop and discover all Alaska eBird has to offer!

      What:

      An interactive, hands-on eBird workshop with Brian Sullivan from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Sullivan has conducted fieldwork on birds throughout North America for the past 15 years. He is currently project leader for eBird and the Avian Knowledge Network, photographic editor of the Birds of North America Online at the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, and photographic editor of the journal North American Birds. The half-day seminar will include collecting data in the field (bring your binoculars), instruction on how to submit your observations, and exploration of the numerous eBird tools valuable to birders and researchers alike. The workshop is open to both new and veteran eBird users. Please feel free to bring all those questions you’ve been waiting to ask.

      When:

      April 20, 2009 from 1:00-4:30pm.

      Where:

      Gordon W. Hartlieb Hall (GHH), Room 103. University of Alaska Anchorage Campus.

      For directions, please see attached map.

      Cost:

      This free event is sponsored by Audubon Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish & Game, and the University of Alaska Anchorage .

      For additional information and to register please contact Taldi Walter at

      (907) 276-7034 or twalter@... *Space is limited* Registration will be filled on a first come basis.

      Check out Alaska eBird www.ebird.org/ak

      A real-time, online checklist program, eBird has revolutionized the way that the birding community reports and accesses information about birds. Launched in 2002 by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and National Audubon Society, eBird provides rich data sources for basic information on bird abundance and distribution at a variety of spatial and temporal scales.