Bennett of Wiveliscombe & IOW and Bennett of Norton Bavant & Tisbury, Wiltshire

  • k.bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7 5:10 AM
      Hello list,

      I am wondering if any one has researched the earlier generations of
      the Bennett family of Wiveliscombe, Somerset before they went to VA?

      I am trying to prove (or disprove) a connection between the Somerset
      family and the Bennett family of Norton Bavant, Pythouse, Tisbury in
      Wiltshire.

      Boddie claims both families have the same coat of Arms and believe
      them to be related. Unfortunately we know Boddie's research isn't
      always quite accurate.

      I am actually researching the Norton Bavant family who intermarried
      with the Perry family of Warminster in the 1550s. My interest arises
      concerning the Wiveliscomb family because they and these Perrys both
      end up at the same place at the same time at the IOW, VA.

      Has someone perhaps come across any information which suggests the
      Wiveliscombe Bennets had ancestors (or cousins) in Wiltshire?

      Thank you very much,
      Karen Bell
    • Judy Trimble
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7 2:17 PM
        Hi Karen, My family of Bennett's was from Somerset County. If you have a Mormon church in your town, get them to order you a microfilm called, "Finding Your Forefathers in America", written by Archibald Fowler Bennett. Mr. Bennett use to be the secretary of the Mormon Genealogy Library in Salt Lake City and is from the same line of Bennett's. He was a genealogist and wrote numerous books on the subject. None of them are in print now and he died in 1964, but I've ordered microfilms from the LDS before. The only problem is, you have to stay at the library and read them. You can copy pages from them as you read. If you go to the LDS website, you can pull up his pedigree chart that goes back to John Bennett ca. 1500. I haven't researched all the branches of the family, just a direct line. I hope this will help you. Judy Trimble

        "k.bell" <jessandrak@...> wrote: Hello list,

[...]

        Have a blessed day, Judy