Bennett Family

  • kimmydinks2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2003
      Hi Folks,
      I have just joined your group since I accidently ran into it
      researching my Bennett ancestors. Anyone familiar with the Bennett's
      out of Eastern North Carolina? Sincerely, Kimberly
    • CindyM195@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2003
        My gggf was born in N.C......his name was Alfred Bennet b. 1839. I think his
        father was George Bennett and I believe he had sisters named Maryand Jenette.
        Brothers may have been Frances and Marion. Let me know if this sounds familar.

      • maxcbennet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2003
          Cindy,
          A few notes to help you in your search.
          First, in the 1880 Overton County, TN, Francis and Marion are listed as females. Also nothe that Francis is spelled with an "I" not an "E". Typically the female spelling is Frances and the male is Francis.. so you must decide which is correct, either the spelling of the name or the gender of the person. I personally would lean to the idea that Francis is probably a female and that the census taker wrote the name down wrong.
          Also note that Alfred claims his (Alfred's) father was born in North Carolina, however, George claims that he (George) was born in Maryland. This would indicate that George is not Alfred's father.
          Census takers make errors, but some areas they tend to make more errors than others. Where they make a lot of errors are places where they write down the columns after the names are taken. When you see a person named John listed as a female, odds are that his name IS John and that he is a male and the census taker simply was writing down the column and made a mistake.
          Look at George for a moment and note that the census-take says that the other people in the home are his wife and daughters. Now, look at the daughter's MOTHER'S place of birth (NC), which should match Fanny's (Maryland), but does not. This indicates that Fanny is not their mother. It also indicates that Fanny is not Alfred's mother as Alfred's mother was born in NC. I know, I know.. what a mess!
          I will post both families on my website and see if we can get anyone to help us sort this out. Look for these families at my website at
          http://www.allthingsbennett.com

          Hope this helps

          Max C. Bennett
          maxcbennet@...
          http://www.allthingsbennett.com

          Searching for info on the following Bennetts from the 1880 Overton County, TN

          Born Father Mother
          Bennett Alfred w m 41 farmer NC NC NC
          Bennett Margaret w f 39 wife keeps house Tenn Va Va
          Bennett Florence w f 14 daughter at home Tenn NC Tenn
          Bennett George w m 12 son works on farm Tenn NC Tenn
          Bennett John w m 10 son works on farm Tenn NC Tenn
          Bennett Thompson w m 8 son Tenn NC Tenn
          Bennett Samuel w m 2 son Tenn NC Tenn

          Also this household.........
          Bennett George w m 70 farmer Maryland Maryland Maryland
          Bennett Fanny w f 66 wife keeps house Maryland Va Va
          Bennett Jenette w f 25 daughter at home Maryland Maryland NC
          Bennett Marion w f 28 daughter at home Maryland Maryland NC
          Bennett Francis w f 24 daughter at home Maryland Maryland NC