ToC: RENAISANCE STUDIES

  • Prof. B.V. Toshev
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2012

      RENAISANCE STUDIES. JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY FOR RENAISSANCE STUDIES ISSN 0269-1213 (Wiley-Blackwell)

      Cover image for Vol. 26 Issue 1

      Editor: J. Richards

      ======================

      ToC: Renaissance Studies, Volume 26, Number 5, November 2012

      ======================

      B. Wooding. Interrogating The Soddered Citizen (p. 608)

      Notes: 18

      The Soddered Citizen, a play performed by the King's Men's company during the 1630s, survives in a single, incomplete manuscript, a facsimile of which is held at the British Library. It has received minimal critical attention since its discovery in the 1930s. The much-altered text of the play carries numerous indications of performance intentions, and has been the subject of discussions about changes to be made, evidenced by the nature of the alterations, to which several different hands have contributed. I give a brief account of the play, reasons for attribution of authorship to John Clavell, the plot, and allocation of roles. This is followed by analysis of some of the textual changes, and a discussion of stage directions, in order to substantiate my proposal that the text, though damaged and lacking its final resolution, is a rare survival of a script used by the players for editing and performance decisions, and of potential value in the search for ideas about early modern staging.

      P. Auger. The Semaines' Dissemination in England and Scotland until 1641 (p. 625)

      Notes: 63

      This article tracks the reputation of Guillaume de Saluste Du Bartas's Semaines (1578, 1584 et seq.) among readers in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century England and Scotland. The Semaines were initially mentioned in print by London-based readers of contemporary poetry, but different communities of readers later emerged who read and cited the poems in a variety of ways. James VI and I played an important part in the Semaines' early reception history, as did the publication of Josuah Sylvester's translation, Devine Weekes. This article builds on Anne Lake Prescott's earlier research by focusing on how individual readers responded to particular Du Bartas texts. This approach makes us more sensitive to how the Semaines were being read and perceived in different ways during this period. The first section looks in detail at how Gabriel Harvey and those around him read the Semaines. The second section gives early examples of writers consulting the Semaines for their factual content, and shows how James encouraged readers to be `well-versed' in Du Bartas's works. The third focuses on clerical readers of the Semaines. The conclusion suggests that these contemporary responses can inform historically grounded readings of the Semaines as literary works, and promote understanding of their influence on seventeenth-century British literature.

      K.D. Howard. Fadrique Furio Ceriol's Machiavellian vocabulary of contingency (p. 641)

      Notes: 61

      Over two decades ago Helena Puigdomenech demonstrated that Niccol├▓ Machiavelli's political treatises circulated openly in Spain for roughly thirty years in the second half of the sixteenth century. Despite the Roman Index of 1559, Machiavelli was not prohibited in Spain until Quiroga's Index of 1583. Soon after this date, Machiavelli's fortune in Spain would become inevitably linked to the Spanish anti-Machiavellian tradition, which Pedro de Ribadeneyra inaugurated with his Tratado de la Religion y Virtudes que deue tener el Principe Christiano, first published in 1595, and which lasted throughout the first half of the seventeenth century. The question of what Spaniards took out of their reading of Machiavelli continues unanswered. The purpose of this article is to demonstrate that Furi├│ Ceriol not only appropriated Machiavelli's political vocabulary in general and adapted it to Philip II's monarchical ideology but also borrowed extensively from Il Principe in order to advise his king on the best way to deal with the rebellion in the Low Countries.

      E. Gilby. Descartes's account of indifference (p. 658)

      Notes: 38

      This article considers Descartes's statements on the `liberty of indifference', where indifference is understood as there being, at any one moment, alternative paths that one might take in life. I suggest that Descartes is hugely preoccupied with how we can hold onto more than one idea at the same time, and I pay close literary attention to the ways in which Descartes's stated goals of clarity and firmness interact with this philosophical interest in indifference and vacillation. I contend that we need to identify in Descartes a fascination with the complexity of mental states, and to rethink the account generally given of Descartes's thoughts on indifference.

      E. Treharne. Tristis Amor: an unpublished verse love letter from Lady Elizabeth Dacre Howard to Sir Anthony Cooke (p. 673)

      Notes: 56

      In the preparation of this paper, I have received feedback from a number of colleagues, to whom I am immensely grateful: Dr Orietta Da Rold; Professors Colin Burrow, Anne Coldiron, Patrick Conner, Thomas Keymer, Elizabeth Spiller and Greg Walker. Dr Sarah Knight assisted me in uncovering the correct Elizabeth Dacre and made useful suggestions in the transcribing of the poem; Dr Jane Marie Pinzino improved my initial translation of the poem; and Drs Phillip Lindley and John Blatchly kindly answered my queries about the tomb and brasses in Kenninghall Church. Many thanks to the anonymous readers for their useful suggestions.

      J.E. Everson. The melting pot of science and belief: studying Vesuvius in seventeenth-century Naples (p. 691)

      Notes: 65

      In December 1631, after more than 300 years of inactivity, Vesuvius erupted causing widespread damage. These were the first eruptions of Vesuvius in early modern times, and they coincided with the birth of modern scientific enquiry. They were also the first eruptions to occur after the upheavals of the Reformation and the reassertion of traditional Catholic doctrine and piety following the Council of Trent. The eruptions provoked a considerable number of publications ranging from theoretical treatises to philosophical dialogues, journals giving eyewitness accounts, and poems in both Latin and Italian. Many of these publications emanated from the numerous academies of Naples and were dedicated to leading figures in the politics and culture of the Regno. There is some sound scientific discussion in these publications, but they also testify in different ways and with varying emphases to the persistence of both orthodox Catholic belief and popular superstition. In this article I consider the relative emphases in a select number of these publications between serious science, the persistence of orthodox religious belief and the continuing humanist debt to classical literature.

      J. Wallace. Strong stomachs: Arthur Golding, Ovid, and cultural assimilation (p. 728)

      Notes: 45

      This article argues for a new interpretation of the prefatory poems Golding wrote for his published translations of Ovid's Metamorphoses. These prefaces are thoroughly enmeshed both in Golding's own intellectual project of mitigating Ovid's pagan culture and in the wider cultural debates about contact with non-Christians. This debate often had recourse to the circumstances of early Christians and their proximity to the gentiles and their religious practices. Specifically, the language of eating and digestion was frequently deployed in the early Christian world to suggest the necessity of confronting and processing foreign cultures. Golding's prefaces approach this intellectual legacy through sustained language of food, digestion, and stomachs. For Golding's ideal reader, culture clashes were analogous to eating a variety of foods, requiring strong stomachs. Galenic conceptions of an active, powerful stomach also helped Golding formulate his ideas about cross-cultural exchange. And as I argue in the last part of the article, Golding's interpretive strategy was not unique, but rather was commonplace in Protestant polemic in the 1560s and '70s.

      Review of Exhebitions (p. 744): 2 reviews

      Review of Books (p. 762): 6 reviews