[bellowspipes] Learning the bellows

  • piobair@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
      Would anyone be so kind as to offer some advice to the beginning
      bellowspiper? I have three years experience with the highland pipes
      and PC and have recently purchased a set of Sloan (A) smallpipes. I am
      specifically interested in tips on the bellows technique. I would sure
      appreciate help as I am in an area devoid of such an instrument and/or
      player.

      Thanks,

      Sean
    • Kevin Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
        Sean and the list in general,

        You aren't the only one to make the switch. Keepin mind that each
        type of pipe has it's own sound, technique, history and music. They are
        related to each other but not the same.
        A simple metgod to learn the bellows technique is this. Strap on
        your bellows and bag. Cork off your drones or remove them. Don't use
        your chanter either. Sit down in a comfortable position with all this
        in place. Put your left index finger over the chanter stock. Inflate
        the bag. Allow a small amount of air to escape while maintaining a
        steady pressure on the bag. The idea is to keep a tight bag while
        maintianing a steady flow of air.
        Some common mistakes are playing the chanter with the bellows and
        keeping time with the music with the bellows. By removing the chanter
        you can learn to avoid these mistakes. Remember you want to keep a
        tight bag and maintian a steady stream of air leaving the chanter
        stock. I recommend you do this while watching a movie or TV. You want
        to do this without thinking about it.

        Regards,
        Kevin SCott
      • Sean Logan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 1999
          "kevin scott" <piobair-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bellowspipes/?start=4
          > Sean and the list in general,
          >
          > You aren't the only one to make the switch. Keepin mind that each
          > type of pipe has it's own sound, technique, history and music. They
          are
          > related to each other but not the same.
          > A simple metgod to learn the bellows technique is this. Strap on
          > your bellows and bag. Cork off your drones or remove them. Don't use
          > your chanter either. Sit down in a comfortable position with all this
          > in place. Put your left index finger over the chanter stock. Inflate
          > the bag. Allow a small amount of air to escape while maintaining a
          > steady pressure on the bag. The idea is to keep a tight bag while
          > maintianing a steady flow of air.
          > Some common mistakes are playing the chanter with the bellows and
          > keeping time with the music with the bellows. By removing the chanter
          > you can learn to avoid these mistakes. Remember you want to keep a
          > tight bag and maintian a steady stream of air leaving the chanter
          > stock. I recommend you do this while watching a movie or TV. You
          want
          > to do this without thinking about it.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Kevin SCott

          Thanks to all who sent replies to my request. I'll give those ideas
          some practice and I'm sure I'll be getting back to you. I have on
          order from LBPS, a copy of the cauld wind tutor so hopefully that'l
          offer some advice as well. Take care all.