Re: [bell_bohm] Re: [Physics_Frontier] Questions About "Three Slit Experiment"

  • Dennis May
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2011
      Another comment further on:

      "Florian: Total destructive interference occurs in the
      3-slit experiment by the cancellation of the wave
      amplitudes from the 3 slits. The cancellation occurs
      at the amplitude level if the path difference of 2
      adjacent slits is 1/3 of the wavelength."

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2011
        I believe my questions about the "Three Slit Experiment" came about because
        upon reading about it from several sources some approached it incorrectly
        implying there was more to the experiment than there actually was.

        Here is another comment futher in the stack:

        "I came across this article summary and could not understand what it was all about. I went and got the Science original article and went over it and indeed it seemed to be saying that photons only went through two holes in a diffraction gating to interfere with themselves (not each other) in creating the diffraction pattern, and that this is the meaning of Born's rule. This is no statement of Born's Hypothesis that I ever read before, and I have read many restatements of it. It seems to be a modern attempt to restate the rule with the wave envelope (amplitude summation) replaced with just two components – the wave and its conjugate – and the squaring of the amplitude to get intensity (the probability) being just the multiplication of the two elements. This will not work in a multitude of circumstances. For example, one could send single photons at a 50,000 slit diffraction grating and observe how sharp the diffraction line is. I have no doubt that the line that builds up statistically would be as sharp as one produced by a regular beam of photons. The only requirement would be that the coherence length of the photons be long enough and that they not overlap. Not convinced? What about Feynman's path integral method? This should apply to photons just as any other particle/wave object. It would require many back and forth (instantaneous) "determinations" of the probability of any path the photon might take – including through the mask, rather than just through the holes, all summed up and THEN squared for probability. What happens to Feynman's "rule" if this new formalism were true?"

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2011
          I don't believe there ever was a difficulty - I was just having a hard time
          digesting some of the incorrect or misleading explanations from the assorted
          science  reporters.

          Thanks,

          Dennis