Re:Beer Sommelier - What a Great Name !

  • BelgiumGBG@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12 9:11 AM
      Yes, it is very Anglo-Saxon and apologetic of us Brits to use terms like 'beer nut', 'beer geek', 'hopheads' and, with some embarassment, 'beer lovers'.

      I sometimes wish we had a more Germanic language and could assume terms like 'beer-love-havers'.

      The trouble with 'beer drinkers' is that apart from being dull, in this country it conjures up images of fat men in short T-shirts wielding tins of wet air and behaving in an objectionable manner.

      I am starting to use 'fine ale fans', which is a bit exclusive if you are into lagers or lambics.

      Whatever term wins out, if one does, we need to learn from Ken Livingstone, the out-going Mayor of London, who when interviewed will always, without fail, use the word 'Londoner' in his first sentence and every paragraph therafter - just so you know where he is coming from.

      Tim Webb
    • R.E. Pedersen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12 10:29 AM
        Another term that is starting to be used is "cicerone" to replace "beer sommelier" so that there is a clear distinction from the wine trade.  The word has no direct relation to beer, though.

        "Cicerone is an old term for a guide, one who conducts visitors and sightseers to museums, galleries, etc., and explains matters of archaeological, antiquarian, historic or artistic interest."  --Wikipedia

        Not sure I like this term.  Not sure I like the mouthfeel!

        Rich P.
      • Trappist
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13 12:24 AM
          >>I say :

          >>Pintelier, Beer Connoisseur, Beer sommelier.... I like them all.

          Something more about PINTELIER(EN).
          The Flemish word "pintelier" is derived from the verb "pintelieren".
          "Pintelieren" means drinking beer (mainly lager/pils = pint) with high
          volumes.
          Local people going for an evening of "pintjes" drinking at some local cafe.
          Pintjes like Jupiler, Stella, you know..
          It has a very pejorative meaning.
          I definite wouldn't use that word to describe a Beer Connoisseur.
          Cheers,
          \\//
          (oo)
          ---oO-()-Oo------------------------------------------------------------
          Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
          City: Brugge Belgium Europe
          Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianbeerboard.be
          Homepage: http://users.pandora.be/filip.geerts/
          Webmaster Belgian Beer Pub Map: http://www.beerpubmap.be
          Beer Reporter: http://users.pandora.be/filip.geerts/Beeryvisits/
        • Rik Vernack
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13 2:39 PM
            Dag Filip,

            Net nog genoten van je recente, en iets wat oudere, fotoreportages. goede herinneringen bovengehaald. Fijn dat er mensen zijn als jij dat alles zo minutieus vastleggen. Ook toffe reportage van de kreeften bij thierry en bianca. Doe je hen nog eens de groeten als je hen nog eens ziet?

            D A N K   U   W E L !!!
            Rik

            Trappist <trappist@...> wrote:
            >>I say :

            >>Pintelier, Beer Connoisseur, Beer sommelier... . I like them all.

            Something more about PINTELIER(EN) .
            The Flemish word "pintelier" is derived from the verb "pintelieren" .
            "Pintelieren" means drinking beer (mainly lager/pils = pint) with high
            volumes.
            Local people going for an evening of "pintjes" drinking at some local cafe.
            Pintjes like Jupiler, Stella, you know..
            It has a very pejorative meaning.
            I definite wouldn't use that word to describe a Beer Connoisseur.
            Cheers,
            \\//
            (oo)
            ---oO-()-Oo- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---
            Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
            City: Brugge Belgium Europe
            Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianb eerboard. be
            Homepage: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/
            Webmaster Belgian Beer Pub Map: http://www.beerpubm ap.be
            Beer Reporter: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/ Beeryvisits/

            Yahoo! for Good helps you make a difference

          • Rik Vernack
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13 2:41 PM
              Sorry, guys. Was ment for Filip personally. But I do want to make here some publicity for his excellent photo reports.

              cheers,
              Rik

              Trappist <trappist@...> wrote:
              >>I say :

              >>Pintelier, Beer Connoisseur, Beer sommelier... . I like them all.

              Something more about PINTELIER(EN) .
              The Flemish word "pintelier" is derived from the verb "pintelieren" .
              "Pintelieren" means drinking beer (mainly lager/pils = pint) with high
              volumes.
              Local people going for an evening of "pintjes" drinking at some local cafe.
              Pintjes like Jupiler, Stella, you know..
              It has a very pejorative meaning.
              I definite wouldn't use that word to describe a Beer Connoisseur.
              Cheers,
              \\//
              (oo)
              ---oO-()-Oo- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---
              Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
              City: Brugge Belgium Europe
              Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianb eerboard. be
              Homepage: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/
              Webmaster Belgian Beer Pub Map: http://www.beerpubm ap.be
              Beer Reporter: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/ Beeryvisits/

              Yahoo! for Good helps you make a difference

            • John Midwood
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13 3:18 PM
                Filip

                Whatever else, it's great to hear from you again - I do hope that this is not just an isolated posting?

                Cheers
                John

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 14 12:55 AM
                  Hello Rik !
                  Thanks for the good words.
                  The report about Thierry & Bianca, which Rik is referring to, can be consulted here:
                  GREAT Belgian Homebrewing btw.....
                  Cheers,
                  --
                       \\//

                  Trappist <trappist@pandora. be> wrote:
                  >>I say :

                  >>Pintelier, Beer Connoisseur, Beer sommelier... . I like them all.

                  Something more about PINTELIER(EN) .
                  The Flemish word "pintelier" is derived from the verb "pintelieren" .
                  "Pintelieren" means drinking beer (mainly lager/pils = pint) with high
                  volumes.
                  Local people going for an evening of "pintjes" drinking at some local cafe.
                  Pintjes like Jupiler, Stella, you know..
                  It has a very pejorative meaning.
                  I definite wouldn't use that word to describe a Beer Connoisseur.
                  Cheers,
                  \\//
                  (oo)
                  ---oO-()-Oo- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---
                  Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
                  City: Brugge Belgium Europe
                  Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianb eerboard. be
                  Homepage: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/
                  Webmaster Belgian Beer Pub Map: http://www.beerpubm ap.be
                  Beer Reporter: http://users. pandora.be/ filip.geerts/ Beeryvisits/

                  Yahoo! for Good helps you make a difference

                  Checked by AVG.
                • Trappist
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 14 1:06 AM
                    Hi John,
                    I'll do my best to revive this board!
                    Two months without one message, that's really too hard to bear.
                    This is a torture towards Belgian Beer promotion which can't be tolerated IMHO.....
                    Cheers,
                    --
                         \\//

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 14, 2008
                      Hello to all,

                      Just might have in the future that little bit of more time to do some
                      beer postings.
                      Anyhow, just bumped on the following regarding this matter:
                      http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2006/05/what-is-beer-equivalent-of-sommelier.html?showComment=1149208020000#c114920803705613110

                      Cheers from the South of France,
                      Rik

                      ---oO-()-Oo----------------------------------------------------------
                      > Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
                      > City: Brugge Belgium Europe
                      > Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianbeerboard.be
                      > Homepage: http://users.pandora.be/filip.geerts/
                      > Webmaster Belgian Beer Pub Map: http://www.beerpubmap.be
                      > Beer Reporter: http://users.pandora.be/filip.geerts/Beeryvisits/

                      13/04/2008 13:45

                    • Robert Silk
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 14, 2008
                        I sure have missed the flow of information ..
                           Bob

                        > Filip Geerts / ICQ#: 26619207
                        > City: Brugge Belgium Europe
                        > Webmaster Belgian Beer Board: http://www.belgianb eerboard. be