Re: [beginning_perl] writing out to a file....

  • WilliamGunther@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 5:45 AM
      In a message dated 6/30/2004 3:51:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      kathryntate@... writes:
      >He didn't. And it does work as intended.
      >Will, you are on a group and therefore must adhere to the rules.
      >You are too rude toward me and I don't need it.
      >I appreciate your input but not the style. Work on it.
      >
      >Kathryn

      I am in no way rude to you; I'm rude to your programming, which is how I
      should be. I will make no effort to work on it. I don't understand many of the
      things you do in your code, and you make no effort to explain the reasoning
      behind it so I can help you. Saying I don't understand something or being
      persistant that you're doing something wrong despite you believing it is correct isn't
      rude. If you don't understand that you can leave my group.

      The line I was refering to was:
      print DESTINATION "ucfirst($first),ucfirst($last), $number, $dept, $sum\n";
      which will not work as intended. The ucfirst() function will not be
      evalutated in the double quotes. What you want is
      print DESTINATION ucfirst $first . ', ' . ucfirst $last . ', ' . $number . ',
      ' . $dept . ', ' . $sum . "\n";
      or to use the \u escape character in the double-quotes.

      Any flames against me can go outside of this group and to my email or you
      will be removed from the group.

      -will
      http://www.wgunther.tk
      (the above message is double rot13 encoded for security reasons)

      Most Useful Perl Modules
      -strict
      -warnings
      -Devel::DProf
      -Benchmark
      -B::Deparse
      -Data::Dumper
      -Clone
      -Perl::Tidy
      -Beautifier
      -DBD::SQLite
    • Kathryn Tate
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 7:06 AM
        On Jul 1, 2004, at 5:45 AM, WilliamGunther@... wrote:

        > The line I was refering to was:
        > print DESTINATION "ucfirst($first),ucfirst($last), $number, $dept,
        > $sum\n";
        > which will not work as intended. The ucfirst() function will not be
        > evalutated in the double quotes. What you want is
        > print DESTINATION ucfirst $first . ', ' . ucfirst $last . ', ' .
        > $number . ',
        > ' . $dept . ', ' . $sum . "\n";

        This is the code I am using now:
        $final=sprintf("%s, %s%-20s\t%s%d", ucfirst($first), ucfirst($last),
        $number, $dept, $sum);
        print DESTINATION $final, "\n";

        _As I wrote earlier, I appreciate the guidance you provide; I wish that
        you would work on your style of "yelling" (via exclamation points and
        so forth). If that is too much to ask of you, then I will leave your
        group.

        Kathryn