Re: Inactivity or death?

  • George
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7 2:12 AM
      Hi Dick!

      While I admire the fact that you are taking into account other people's criticism of the group, I see nothinmg wrong with the current course we are on. I say continue in order of opus number, as we have bee doing.

      George

      --- In beethovensonatas@yahoogroups.com, Richard A Mathisen <richard.a.mathisen@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > Thanks for your comment! I agree that the membership of this group is really
      > all over the map in terms of level of expertise. And that most people cannot
      > afford to purchase many complete cycles or individual CD's. (It's been a big
      > strain on my own budget!)
      >
      > My hope was that even persons who have only a few different recordings of a
      > particular sonata could join in by indicating their favorites among those
      > recordings they own. I'm sorry if I have intimidated anyone by posting my
      > own list of my own Top 15.
      >
      > I wonder if we should start (continue) with the more popular Beethoven
      > sonatas, such as the Moonlight, Waldstein, Appassionata, or Op 111? Then
      > group members would be more likely to have multiple recordings to discuss?
      > And perhaps a stronger motivation to learn or participate?
      > Lisa has suggested review-like descriptions of how different pianists play a
      > particular work. I think that's a great idea! I hope she will wade in with
      > any more thoughts she has about how to proceed.
      >
      > The main question right now, I think, is which Beethoven piano sonata to
      > discuss next. If we follow my previous procedure, it would be sonata #9, Op
      > 14-1. However, I'd be happy to discuss another one if the group would find
      > that more helpful. (I want to eventually discuss all 32, but I don't have
      > any strong preferences as to the sequence.)
      >
      > Any comments are invited!
      >
      > Dick Mathisen
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM, <wkasimer@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Dick et al -
      > >
      > > I think that a lot of the issue is that the membership is really all over
      > > the map in terms of level of expertise. There are skilled pianists, some
      > > professional (I assume) who have studied carefully and played many of these
      > > works. There are committed Beethovenians who own dozens of recordings of
      > > these works. There are omnivores whose knowledge is broad but not
      > > particularly deep. And there are those who don't know much about the sonatas
      > > but want to learn more, and learn who plays them well, and what
      > > characterizes "well" to those who are more knowledgeable.
      > >
      > > As I see it, the biggest problem is that very, very few have access to
      > > enough recordings to provide a meaningful ranking. I think that I have about
      > > a dozen at the moment, several of them purchased in response to postings on
      > > this forum, or to prepare for future discussion/comparison, and even that
      > > collection is really not sufficient for meaningful rankings. Without some
      > > way to make the most important/illustrative recordings available to the
      > > general membership of the forum, I'm not sure how much input is possible
      > > from the rest of us.
      > >
      > > Actually, I found the hiatus useful, since I delved into the LvB string
> [...]
    • David Elliott
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7 8:00 AM
        Do you remember the scene in Dead Poets Society? The Robin Williams character says,

        "Now I want you to rip out that page. Go on, rip out the entire page. You heard me, rip it out. Rip it out! ... Gentlemen, tell you what: don't just tear out that page, tear out the entire introduction. I want it gone, history. Leave nothing of it. Rip it out. Rip! Begone .... It's not the Bible. You're not going to go to Hell for this. Go on, make a clean tear. I want nothing left of it."

        Karl wrote:
        >Sorry, I can't 'pinpoint the problem in the steps above'. May I
        >use my own terms ? Even then, a second explanation is usually also
        >the second best. Still, here it is in another nutshell: What I
        >meant was that art cannot be measured by quantitative means. And
        >that I think it useless if not harmful to discuss music on the basis
        >of quantitative evaluations.
      • Richard A Mathisen
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7 8:25 PM
          George,

          I want to thank you and all the other members of the group who offered thoughts and suggestions!

          So far no one has suggested an alternative to continuing in opus number order, so I anticipate we will continue in that way unless someone offers a superior idea.

          I will be away for a few days at a conference, but then I will review the suggestions offered and decide how to move forward.

          Again, thanks to all who have commented so far. It means a lot to me just to know that you care about this meeting.

          Dick Mathisen