DVD Only Recordings

  • Richard Mathisen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2009
      Peter,

      You asked about DVD only performances of Beethoven sonatas.

      I do expect to include DVD only performces in this discussion, since they are "recordings" of Beethoven sonatas.The only fair way to compare them is to compare the audio track only. In theory, we extract the audio track and turn it into a CD recording, so that we can make a fair comparison of equivalent items.

      There are a number of issues about DVD's.

      1. It's difficult to avoid watching the video portion of the recording and being affected by it. I typically close my eyes, but I confess that I sometimes open my eyes! It would be better to actually extract the audio portion.

      2. It's difficult to extract the audio portion, I think because of copy-protection. However, it is also difficult for me to extract the audio even from video recordings of myself. Technically, I don't know how to do it. I'd be happy to receive guidance off-line from anyone knowledgeable!

      3. There's a problem because the playback equipment is not necessarily of the highest sound quality. I play CD's on my fairly decent sound system, but I have to play DVD's on my TV, which is not necessarily set up for the highest sound quality.

      4. Aside from playback, there's a question about the sound quality of the DVD itself. Does the DVD have full dynamic range and full frequency range?

      5. I know that many camcorders treat sound quality as an afterthought. They are set up for voice recordings, so they squash the dynamic range rather than record a full dynamic range. With my own camcorder, I have to set it to 16 bit sound.

      6. Finally, there is an issue with the completeness of discographies. For example, the Richter video of Op 2-1 is not on the Trovar discography, as far as I know.

      So, Peter, my answer is that I do consider DVD's to be recordings and are therefore included in this discussion, but we have to limit it to the audio portion of the DVD in order to provide a fair comparison.

      Dick Mathisen