382Re: [beethovensonatas] Recordings Considered

  • dmitri knessin
    Oct 12, 2013

      hi Richard and group members,

      to me, Ashkenazy is not anywhere near the top of Beethovians.

      I find his tone rude, his forte passages unpolished and unpleasantly loud, and his interpretations prosaic and obligatory. A lot of the projects he did were initiated by the record company. He is just doing his job. It lacks the inner drive you hear in someone like Kempff. To Kempff Beethoven was the ultimate goal. To Ashkenazy Beethoven was just another project.

      I have become very sceptical of completist projects over the years, (and I was certainly one of them). What is the use of a library if the number of works and recordings is endless ? If everything is considered worthy of preservation and consideration simply because it is there.. then there is no way to navigate through information anymore. To me the only reason for preservation is to preserve the best that human culture has to offer. The rest should be forgotten.

      for an alarming amount of recordings in your list I see no reason why they should be preserved for posterity.

      the same is true for composers. If you have to believe the completists on youtube like Hexameron and his peers... then there are at least 10 forgotten geniusses born each year. Then you have to hype yourself in hearing deep wisdom in Czerny sonates etc. I was a completist myself for many years... but in the end I had to conclude that real genius is rare... and that considering each composer and each pianist in the search for lost treaures is insane.

      greetings,

      Dmitri

      On Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:51 PM, Richard A Mathisen <richard.a.mathisen@...> wrote:

      MF mourgue,

      You're absolutely right! I forgot Maria Grinberg's cycle, which I own. And it is certainly worthy of consideration. For some reason, I thought it was in the preliminary list so I omitted it from the second list. Thanks for catching that!

      Dick Mathisen

      On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM, MF mourgue <mmourgue@...> wrote:

      You seems to have forgotten Maria Grinberg…
      All the best

      .

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic