      From: beethovensonatas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:beethovensonatas@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wkasimer@...
      Sent: 10 October 2013 01:41
      To: beethovensonatas@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [beethovensonatas] RE: New Message about Group and Amazon Reviews

      I actually intended to listen to Ashkenazy and a couple of my favorite cycles (Korstick and Goodyear) in all 32, based on the number of positive comments that I've read about Ashkenazy's cycle, which I bought a year or so ago on eBay while we were discussing the various sonatas.

      I started at the beginning, and I don't think that I'll get past Op. 2, #1 - Ashkenazy simply isn't to my taste. He certainly has the chops to play the music, but to my ears, he's a little too careful, rounding all of the edges off a composer whose works are often "on the edge". At least that's how I hear Beethoven. Others want to hear the early sonatas as Classical Era works (and that's certainly understandable, since they were published in 1795), but I think that even in Beethoven's earliest works, he is leaving Classicism behind.

      And I'm not sure just how faithful to the score Ashkenazy really is - in the exposition of the very first sonata, for example, there are sforzandi that don't even register in Ashkenazy's recording (you can't miss them in Korstick's or Goodyear's). There are also some long stretches where Ashkenazy seems to lose interest in shaping phrases, playing almost metronomically and without inflection or change in dynamic.

      But perhaps Op. 2, #1 isn't one of Ashkenazy's better recordings. Richard, which of the recordings on this set would consider among the best available? Is he better in the later sonatas?

      Bill

      William D. Kasimer
      wkasimer@...
      william_kasimer_md@...