Re: [beemonitoring] 74 Missing Native Bee Species - Not Seen in the Past 20 Years

  • T'ai Roulston
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
      Sam:

      I think it's great you put this together. I don't know of sightings of the others, but Jim Cane's 1997 manuscript should take Hesperapis oraria off your list.

      Cane JH. 1997. Violent weather and bees: Populations of the Barrier Island endemic, Hesperapis oraria (Hymenoptera: Melittidae) survive a category 3 hurricane. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 70: 73-75.

      T'ai

      On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Sam Droege wrote:

      All:

      Below is a list which contains the names of 74 species that are known to have occurred East of the Mississippi River in the U.S. and Canada at some point (you will just have to imagine that the Mississippi gets up to Canada)  that a group of active collectors have not seen in the past 20 years.

      The following individuals contributed to that list:

      Mike Arduser
      John Ascher
      Sheila Colla
      Sam Droege
      Jason Gibbs
      Terry Griswold
      Harold Ikerd
      Rob Jean
      Jack Neff
      Molly Rightmyer
      Cory Sheffield
      Michael Veit

      We are looking for anyone with ANY records for any of these species from ANYWHERE during the past 20 years.   Its fine if those records are from Western North America.  Note that we are starting with Eastern species simply because we are more familiar with that group and there are fewer species involved (approximately 775).  Some of the species and names below come from groups that have taxonomic difficulties so the presence of their name here may simply be the result of lack of recent revisions that can clarify their status.   That said, most of these names do represent legitimate species, almost all of which have always been rare (correct me if I am wrong please).

      After sending this list around to people like you, we expect that additional recent records will be discovered for some.  At the end of the exercise we will tabulate the species, annotate what is known of their habitats, geographic distribution, time or year, etc. and provide instructions as to where to look and collect to see if any of these species can be re-found.

      [Side Note:  There are approximately 800 breeding species of birds in North America....one would expect that people would be very concerned if a tenth of the species on that list hadn't been seen in the past 20 years...so, why aren't you concerned about these bees?]

      Thank you.

      sam.....

      Andrena cragini
      Andrena daeckei
      Andrena duplicata
      Andrena helianthiformis
      Andrena ignota
      Andrena irrasus
      Andrena lamelliterga
      Andrena mendica
      Andrena peckhami
      Andrena wilmattae
      Caupolicana electa
      Centris errans
      Coelioxys bisoncornua
      Colletes andrewsi
      Colletes ciliatus
      Colletes longifacies
      Colletes titusensis
      Epeolus banksi
      Epeolus canadensis
      Epeolus carolinus
      Epeolus floridensis
      Epeolus lanhami
      Epeolus vernalis
      Hesperapis oraria
      Hylaeus flammipes
      Hylaeus formosus
      Hylaeus volusiensis
      Lasioglossum alachuense
      Lasioglossum stuartense
      Macropis patellata
      Macropis steironematis
      Megachile bahamensis
      Megachile ingenua
      Megachile integrella
      Megachile oenotherae
      Melissodes fimbriata
      Melissodes manipularis
      Melissodes pilleata
      Nomada aquilarum
      Nomada augustiana
      Nomada micheneri
      Nomada seneciophila
      Nomada vincta
      Osmia hyperborea
      Osmia illinoensis
      Osmia svenssoni
      Perdita floridensis
      Perdita graenicheri
      Perdita krombeini
      Perdita mitchelli
      Perdita nubila
      Perdita obscurata
      Perdita townesi
      Pseudopanurgus helianthi
      Pseudopanurgus pauper
      Sphecodes crawfordi
      Sphecodes exaltus
      Sphecodes galerus
      Sphecodes nigricorpus
      Sphecodes paraplesius
      Sphecodes smilacinae
      Sphecodes trentonensis
      Stelis permaculata
      Trachusa crassipes
      Trachusa dorsalis
      Triepeolus micropygius
      Triepeolus mitchelli
      Triepeolus monardae
      Triepeolus nigrihirtus
      Triepeolus quadrifasciatus atlanticus
      Triepeolus rufithorax
      Xeromelecta interrupta
      Lasioglossum dubitatum
      Lasioglossum wheeleri

      Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

      For All

      Ah to be alive
      on a mid-September morn
      fording a stream
      barefoot, pants rolled up,
      holding boots, pack on,
      sunshine, ice in the shallows,
      northern rockies.

      Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
      stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
      cold nose dripping
      singing inside
      creek music, heart music,
      smell of sun on gravel.

      I pledge allegiance

      I pledge allegiance to the soil
      of Turtle Island,
      and to the beings who thereon dwell
      one ecosystem
      in diversity
      under the sun
      With joyful interpenetration for all.

      - Gary Snyder

      P Bees are not optional.

      T'ai Roulston
      Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
      Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
      University of Virginia

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010

        Thanks T'ai...I knew that one was likely to go down, but wanted to have direct documentation....this is perfect.

        sam

        P Bees are not optional.

        From:T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...>
        To:Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
        Cc:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Date:03/09/2010 04:03 PM
        Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] 74 Missing Native Bee Species - Not Seen in the Past 20 Years

[...]

        tai.roulston@...

      • Chanda Henne
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
          Hi Sam,

          I collected Megachile oenotherae as part of my thesis project. I collected one female from Sandy Hollow Wildlife Management Area in southeastern Louisiana. I can't remember which year it was collected, though. It was either during 2002 or 2003. I believe since I only collected one that the specimen currently resides with my voucher collection at the Louisiana State Arthropod Museum at LSU.

          My thesis with everything I collected can be accessed online:

          Bartholomew,. C. S. 2004. Bees associated with Louisiana longleaf pine savannas. M.S. Thesis. Louisiana State. University; Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-07062004-113139/unrestricted/Bartholomew_thesis.pdf)

          A checklist of what I collected combined with bees Michener found near Hattiesburg, Mississippi and published in 1947 can also be found in the following paper. I can send you a pdf if you're interested.

          Bartholomew, C.S., D. Prowell, and T. Griswold. 2006. An annotated checklist of bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) in longleaf pine savannas of southern Louisiana and Mississippi. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 79(2): 184-198.

          I hope all this helps. If you need more information, please let me know.

          Thanks,
          Chanda Henne

> [...]

          clarify their status. That said, most of these names do represent
          legitimate species, almost all of which have always been rare (correct me
          if I am wrong please).

          After sending this list around to people like you, we expect that
          additional recent records will be discovered for some. At the end of the
          exercise we will tabulate the species, annotate what is known of their
          habitats, geographic distribution, time or year, etc. and provide
          instructions as to where to look and collect to see if any of these
          species can be re-found.

          [Side Note: There are approximately 800 breeding species of birds in
          North America....one would expect that people would be very concerned if a
          tenth of the species on that list hadn't been seen in the past 20
          years...so, why aren't you concerned about these bees?]

          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
[...]

        • Doug Yanega
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
            Triepeolus quadrifasciatus atlanticus

            appears on the list, but that's a pretty iffy subspecies, unless
            Molly Rightmyer has clarified something in her recent revision (which
            I have not yet seen). I routinely collected quadrifasciatus in Kansas
            in the 1990's, but atlanticus is not known from there (though it's
            recorded from Missouri) - however, neither is nominate
            quadrifasciatus (that's recorded from Arkansas and Texas)! So, if the
            bees in Kansas are atlanticus, then that one can essentially be
            removed from the list (since occurrence west of the Mississippi still
            counts). If not, then the ranges of the two subspecies are just a WEE
            bit suspicious; why would atlanticus be in Missouri but not in
            eastern Kansas?

            Peace,

          • Jack Neff
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
              Molly recognized T. q. atlanticus in her 2008 revision and reported 3 specimens from Alabama at nests of Svastra atripes atrimitra.  These were the bees Cane reported on in 1995 so I guess that fits in that 20 year window.   In her treatment, the two subspecies are allopatric and the Kansas material should be the nominate western subspecies.

              appears on the list, but that's a pretty iffy subspecies, unless
              Molly Rightmyer has clarified something in her recent revision (which
              I have not yet seen). I routinely collected quadrifasciatus in Kansas
              in the 1990's, but atlanticus is not known from there (though it's
              recorded from Missouri) - however, neither is nominate
              quadrifasciatus (that's recorded from Arkansas and Texas)! So, if the
              bees in Kansas are atlanticus, then that one can essentially be
              removed from the list (since occurrence west of the Mississippi still
              counts). If not, then the ranges of the two subspecies are just a WEE
              bit suspicious; why would atlanticus be in Missouri but not in
              eastern Kansas?

              Peace,

              http://cache. ucr.edu/~ heraty/yanega. html

            • Pemberton, Robert
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010

                Hi Sam,

                Centris errans can be readily seen in Miami-Dade County visiting Brysonima lucida (Malphighiaceae) in pinelands and gardens when it flowers in the spring.  Hong Liu and I did a pollination study of our native rare cowhorn orchid, Cyrtopodium punctatum, using naturally occurring plants at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables and found that Centris errans was the only pollinator of the orchid.

                Pemberton, R.W. and H. Liu. 2008. Potential of invasive and native solitary specialist bee pollinators to help restore the rare cowhorn orchid (Cyrtopodium punctatum) in Florida. Biological Conservation 141: 1758-1764.

                Interestingly, in a related study, we found the invasive Centris nitida was the only documented pollinator of the invasive orchid Cyrtopodium polyphyllum.

                Liu, H. and R.W. Pemberton. in press. Pollination of an invasive orchid (Cyrtopodium polyphyllum) by an invasive oil-collecting bee (Centris nitida) in southern Florida.  Botany (Canadian J. Botany).

                I have also caught Centris errans visiting a flowering plant of Byrsonima lucida in my residential garden in Fort Lauderdale, Broward County a few years back.

                Best Regards, Bob

                Robert Pemberton Ph.D.

                Research Associate

                Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Coral Cables, Florida

                Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainesville, Florida

                Invasive Plant Research Laboratory, USDA-ARS, Ft Lauderdale, Florida

                Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing

                Office 954-475-6548 Cell 954-812-3908

              • Jack Neff
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Sam:  Beth Norden et al reported on the biology of Perdita graenicheri in 1992 (J. Hym. Res. 1:107-118) but the field work was from 1989 so I guess it doesn't quite make your deadline.  Since the bee seemed to be locally common in 1989, its demise by 1990 seems unlikely since neither its floral hosts, nor its nest sites were likely to disappear.  I also have a short series of what I've identified as Osmia illinoensis from the Lost Pines region of Texas -  the ID is only tentative so I wouldn't scratch it from the list yet.

                  best

                  Jack