Re: [beemonitoring] Duration of Pollen Viability in a beehive

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
      Linda:  Have your checked Dafni & Firmage, 2000 "Pollen viability and longevity: practical, ecological and evolutionary implications" Plant Systematics and Evolution.  222: 113-132 or Kraal, 1962 "How long do honey-bees carry germinable pollen on them?" Euphytica 11: 53-56.  Moistened corbicular pollen has zero longevity since the added nectar causes osmotic havoc but longevity of the loose stuff will vary with the species and environmental conditions.  While some pollen can be quite long lived (i.e. some orchid pollinaria), most pollen life spans are in days or even hours.  You might also want to check DeGrandi-Hoffmann et al 1986 "Influence of honey bee in-hive pollen transfer on cross-pollination and fruit set in apple"  Environmental Entomology 15:7823-735 who propose that pollen transfer by jostling workers in the hive explains high fruit set in apple orchards where individuals workers show high constancy to particular varieties (clones).
      I believe this was later questioned because of the extent of grooming.

      best

      Jack