New Director for Missouri Botanical Gardens

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2010

      From: Peter Raven
      Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:15 PM
      To: MBG_EveryoneGroup
      Subject: All-Staff Email

      Dear Missouri Botanical Garden staff,

      It is with great enthusiasm that I announce the selection of Dr. Peter Wyse Jackson by the Board of Trustees to assume the position of Garden president upon my retirement. Dr. Wyse Jackson will be here on March 1 to meet with Garden staff and will begin his tenure as Garden president and director on September 1, 2010. As I told you earlier, I will continue full time as President Emeritus through July 2011, and will continue with special projects thereafter.

      Born in Kilkenny, Ireland, and educated at the University of Dublin, Trinity College, Peter Wyse Jackson has served as the director of the National Botanic Gardens of Ireland since March 2005. During his tenure, Dr. Wyse Jackson placed a new emphasis on organic horticulture and home gardening, introduced a wide range of new cultural programs, and secured for Ireland the fourth Global Botanic Gardens Conservation Congress, which will be hosted by the National Botanic Gardens in June.

      Prior to this position, Dr. Wyse Jackson also served as secretary general for the Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI), a worldwide organization promoting plant conservation, environmental education and sustainable development through botanic gardens. He is the author of scores of scientific books and papers on plant conservation, gardening and horticulture, Irish floristics and plant systematics, and the management and conservation of endangered island floras. He brings to the Missouri Botanical Garden an extensive knowledge of botanical institutions, having worked closely with botanic gardens in more than 50 countries. Dr. Wyse Jackson is globally renowned, and has served as Chair of the Global Partnership for Plant Conservation since 2005, supporting the implementation of the U.N.’s Global Strategy for Plant Conservation.

      I am very pleased that Peter Wyse Jackson has been selected as the next president of the Garden. He brings not only a wealth of horticulture and botanical experience, but also a deep understanding of the importance of sustainability and conservation. I am committed to assisting Dr. Wyse Jackson and the Garden in continuing our mission as he settles into his new role.

      Dr. Wyse Jackson and his wife, Diane, have three children.

      Let me be the first to welcome Dr. Wyse Jackson to this wonderful institution. I know him well and can say for sure that you are in good hands.

      Best,

      Peter

      FOLLOW the Garden on...

      “To discover and share knowledge about plants and their environment in order to preserve and enrich life.”
      -mission of the Missouri Botanical Garden

      P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.