Re: [beemonitoring] Western Dialictus Key?

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
      Keith Gaddis wrote:

      >Does anyone know if there are any available keys for Dialictus in
      >the western U.S. (Specifically Southern California)?

      Not yet. Sam might have a comment, though, about his plans to create
      one. A major part of the problem is the dozens of undescribed taxa in
      SoCal; we have several drawers of P.H. Timberlake's unpublished new
      Dialictus species (he frequently went ahead and named new taxa well
      in advance of publishing, and sometimes never got around to that
      rather essential last step - nearly every major bee collection in the
      US contains specimens with "Timberlake MS" names in them). There may
      well be descriptions and diagnoses and even keys buried amidst
      Timberlake's hand-written notes (which we still have), but that would
      involve weeks of detective work, and still potentially come up
      empty-handed. I've never heard whether equivalent personal notes
      belonging to George Eickwort were left behind at Cornell when George
      passed away; George had been working for around 30 years on a
      revision of Dialictus, so it's not impossible that he'd made some
      potentially valuable notes on western species.

      Sincerely,

    • Jason Gibbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
        It's probably about time I let people know about my existence more generally. I've been working on Dialictus taxonomy for some time now. A revision of the 85 metallic species in Canada has been accepted in Zootaxa and will be available pretty soon. A re-revision of the Eastern USA species is in prep and will probably be ready for submission later this year - by spring if I can get more spare time. The Western USA Dialictus will take years more work. There are definitely a lot of new species to describe.

        I've studied all the Dialictus North of Mexico. I also have DNA barcodes for most species, including a lot of undescribed ones. Eickwort's notes on Dialictus do exist but anyone interested in knowing what Dialictus they have would be better off asking me. That being said - I already have thousands of specimens piled around me as I write this. So please don't send me Dialictus without letting me know first! That also being said - please don't hesitate to contact me regarding Dialictus. I rather enjoy looking at them.

        Cheers,

        --
        Jason Gibbs Ph.D.
        Department of Biology