Western Dialictus Key?

  • gaddiskeith
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
      Does anyone know if there are any available keys for Dialictus in the western U.S. (Specifically Southern California)?

      --
      Keith D. Gaddis, PhD Candidate
      University of California, Los Angeles
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
        Keith Gaddis wrote:

        >Does anyone know if there are any available keys for Dialictus in
        >the western U.S. (Specifically Southern California)?

        Not yet. Sam might have a comment, though, about his plans to create
        one. A major part of the problem is the dozens of undescribed taxa in
        SoCal; we have several drawers of P.H. Timberlake's unpublished new
        Dialictus species (he frequently went ahead and named new taxa well
        in advance of publishing, and sometimes never got around to that
        rather essential last step - nearly every major bee collection in the
        US contains specimens with "Timberlake MS" names in them). There may
        well be descriptions and diagnoses and even keys buried amidst
        Timberlake's hand-written notes (which we still have), but that would
        involve weeks of detective work, and still potentially come up
        empty-handed. I've never heard whether equivalent personal notes
        belonging to George Eickwort were left behind at Cornell when George
        passed away; George had been working for around 30 years on a
        revision of Dialictus, so it's not impossible that he'd made some
        potentially valuable notes on western species.

        Sincerely,

      • Jason Gibbs
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
          It's probably about time I let people know about my existence more generally. I've been working on Dialictus taxonomy for some time now. A revision of the 85 metallic species in Canada has been accepted in Zootaxa and will be available pretty soon. A re-revision of the Eastern USA species is in prep and will probably be ready for submission later this year - by spring if I can get more spare time. The Western USA Dialictus will take years more work. There are definitely a lot of new species to describe.

          I've studied all the Dialictus North of Mexico. I also have DNA barcodes for most species, including a lot of undescribed ones. Eickwort's notes on Dialictus do exist but anyone interested in knowing what Dialictus they have would be better off asking me. That being said - I already have thousands of specimens piled around me as I write this. So please don't send me Dialictus without letting me know first! That also being said - please don't hesitate to contact me regarding Dialictus. I rather enjoy looking at them.

          Cheers,

          --
          Jason Gibbs Ph.D.
          Department of Biology