Re: [beemonitoring] Recently Introduced Bees - A Potentially Large and Unstudied Problem

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2007
      Sam, T'ai et al.,

      Note the following passage pertaining to Osmia cornifrons from Giles and
      Ascher, 2006:218, J. Hym. Res. 15(2), where this species is considered as
      potentially invasive for the first time:

      "After wide distribution and release, this species has recently
      established large populations in natural and urban (e.g., Manhattan and
      Brooklyn, NYC) habitats in the eastern United States to the point where it
      could be considered invasive..."

      Regarding Anthophora plumipes, it should be noted that this well-known
      polylectic species is native to at least 25 countries ranging from Spain
      to Japan and Greece. Some areas where A. plumipes occurs have notoriously
      cold winters, including Korea (don't forget the "Frozen Chosen" Marines at
      the Chosin Reservoir), Finland, and Siberia, so there is reason to
      question Batra's 2003 (citation below) assertion that "any escaping bees
      would not survive in the cold climate" of Maine and also her conclusion
      that the bee would be of particular use in the southeastern United States.
      It is interesting to note that similarly dubious claims have been made
      about the climatic limitations and preferences of Bombus impatiens, which
      supposedly requires cold winters but is in fact well known to occur in
      subtropical Miami in south Florida.

      The very wide range of A. plumipes in the Palearctic can be seen on this
      global map plotting literature records by country together with Sam
      Droege's specimen records from the USA:

      I strongly recommend that anyone interested in Osmia cornifrons and
      Anthophora plumipes read or reread "Bee Introductions to Pollinate our
      Crops" (pp. 85-98 of "For nonnative crops, whence pollinators of the
      future?" edited by Karen Strickler and James H. Cane) by Suzanne W. T.
      Batra, the principal proponent of spreading exotic Palearctic bee species
      to the North America. Therein, she asserts that "Widespread alarm about
      the introduction and spread of exotic organisms, including bees, is a
      fairly recent phenomenon gaining strength in the 1990s. It seems to be a
      religious view (sensu Radhakrishnan, 1951)..." In common with certain
      members of the Bush administration, she considers immigrants such as
      Palearctic bees as a legitimate means of increasing biodiversity in the
      United States. In this chapter, she repeatedly dismisses concerns
      expressed by other biologists about release of exotic bees by the USDA as,
      e.g., merely "Emotion (moral outrage)" and as "overreaction to slight
      risk...an example of misplaced conservatism common to regulatory
      agencies." In her view the burden of proof was entirely on those opposing
      the introductions. The divergence between her views on exotic species and
      those held by most biologists interested in maintaining native diversity
      could not be more stark.

      When considering the spread of Osmia cornifrons and Anthophora plumipes it
      is very important to remember that these did not accidently arrive in the
      USA like Megachile rotundata but instead were deliberately released with
      governmental approval, largely as the result of the strongly held views of
      a single person. In my opinion, insufficient attention was given to
      scientific considerations at the time, but it seems likely that these
      species are now a permanent part of our fauna, in which case we will have
      plenty of opportunity for future assessment of their merits.

      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager
      Division of Invertebrate Zoology
      American Museum of Natural History