Mock-up of possible Homemade Osmia nest system

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2010

    All... Dave Barr sent the following suggestion and photo.

    One question that I had was how much plastic can be around these tubes without having to worry about lack of "breathing" or mold growth?

    Dave's email follows:

    One possible way of creating a rectangular array of nest tubes. The housing is 2 inch insulation foam, in this quick demo just held together with masking tape. Layers of bubble-pak are used to separate the rows of nest tubes. Other possible separators are thin layers of ethafoam as used in the bottom of pinning trays, or possibly sheets of balsa wood.

    This would be much neater looking with uniform paper tubes,

    -Dave Barr

    Switch to: Text-Only, Daily DigestUnsubscribeTerms of Use

    .

  • Dave
    Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
      Another thought... To reduce the amount of plastic, maybe a milk (or orange juice) carton for the housing. The 2-quart size (1.89 L) has a square cross section about 3.75" (9.5 mm). It appears to be a plastic-coated cardboard, not especially durable but probably good for one season. Might be reinforced with duct tape or electrical tape.

      Dave Barr

      --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      > All... Dave Barr sent the following suggestion and photo.
      >
      > One question that I had was how much plastic can be around these tubes
      > without having to worry about lack of "breathing" or mold growth?
      >
      > Dave's email follows:
      >
      > One possible way of creating a rectangular array of nest tubes. The
      > housing is 2 inch insulation foam, in this quick demo just held together
      > with masking tape. Layers of bubble-pak are used to separate the rows of
      > nest tubes. Other possible separators are thin layers of ethafoam as used
      > in the bottom of pinning trays, or possibly sheets of balsa wood.
      >
      > This would be much neater looking with uniform paper tubes,
      >
      > -Dave Barr
      >

      > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest ? Unsubscribe ? Terms of Use
      >

      > .

    • Charles Guevara
      Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2010

           Hello all, regarding home fabricated nest systems:  would standardized wood drills, standard types of wood blocks, give control for tunnel size/ repeatability/ inclination with respect to rain or meltwater, control for texture of these fabricated habitats ( and quick and simple to construct, vrs bubble wrap of selection of plastic tube sizes)?

           Xerces advocated constructing 'bee blocks' in a handout for grade school polinator garden projects, I've seen this handout a few years ago.  charlie guevara  fingerlakes/US