RE: [beemonitoring] Measuring Osmia Phenology as a Measure of Climate Change - Feedback Needed

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010

      Hi Mark:

      Thanks for the comments.  Actually we were not planning on sending out bees, just the empty tubes and were then going to see what species used the tubes later in Fall by cutting them open.

      Redbud would be a good tree to use as it is planted widely and the blossoms are obvious...and Osmia do love them.

      In addition to having folks track redbud bloom it was also pointed out that just because you have finished nests it doesn't necessarily mean that bees haven't been out and about for quite a while and are simply waiting for plants to bloom.  To test that I think it would be interesting to have some sites also running bowl traps each day (this would be a fair amount of work, so I don't expect very  many site to do this).  In that way we could look at first captures in bowls, plant phenology, and nest completion rates...additionally, Wayne runs a network of honeybee hives that are weighed each day and are very sensitive to general nectar resources, these could also be added along with NASA's greenup measurements.

      "Weather"

      Weather, n. The climate of an hour. A permanent topic of conversation among persons whom it does not interest, but who have inherited the tendency to chatter about it
      from naked arboreal ancestors whom it keenly concerned. The setting up of official weather bureaus and their maintenance in mendacity prove that even governments
      are accessible to suasion by the rude forefathers of the jungle.

                    Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
                    And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
                    Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
                    With a record of unreason seldom paralleled on earth.
                    While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent youth,
                    From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of truth.
                    He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
                    On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
                    For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
                    "Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

      Halcyon Jones.

         - Ambrose Bierce

      P Bees are not optional.

      From:Mark E Kraemer <MKraemer@...>
      To:Sam Droege <sdroege@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:02/08/2010 03:53 PM
      Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] Measuring Osmia Phenology as a Measure of Climate Change - Feedback Needed

      Sam & All,

      Here are my thoughts on using Osmia as a monitor for climate change.   I’ve worked with O. lignaria in Virginia since about 2002.

      It is likely that each geographical population of bees has adapted to local climate conditions and has its own chilling and perhaps heating degree day requirements for spring emergence.   Thus, sending cohorts from one geographical region to other regions may be a problem.  For example, if bees from a colder winter climate area are sent to a warmer one and they do not get enough chilling they will have poor emergence extended over a longer period of time, similar to fruit tree bloom when not enough chill units have been accumulated.   Nest building would be extended late into the season but have nothing to do with climate change.   If bee tubes are sent out in late winter after chilling requirements are met, you still have the problem of variable and unknown temperatures during transit.  It’s best to use local bee populations if possible.

      I’d use eastern red bud bloom for phenological comparisons, at least in the Eastern U.S.   I found female emergence in Virginia and North Carolina closely coincides with initial bloom of Eastern redbud.  Eastern redbud provides not just pollen but nectar early in the season when few if any other trees/shrubs are flowering.   It’s a very common forest understory tree and an ornamental found throughout most of the eastern U.S.  The vast majority of pollen (>90%) that I sampled from nest cells created in the first week was redbud (4 sites), even when the trees were not nearby the shelter boxes.   Nesting was very poor and late in one site where redbuds were not found.   I would expect first nest completions to be 7-10 days after initial redbud bloom, depending on air temps.  Some of these phenology results should appear soon in Environmental Entomology.

      I’d like to know whether our observed phenological link of female emergence with Eastern redbud bloom occurs elsewhere, and the pollen composition of the early nest cells.  If this relationship is true, and because climate has changed so radically during the past few million years, I’d speculate that the bees and trees have co-evolved a very similar mechanism for coordinating their emergence/bloom through a broad range of climate change.

      Mark Kraemer
      Asst. Prof - research
      (804) 524-5952
      P.O. Box 9061
      Virginia State University

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
        Linda:  Have your checked Dafni & Firmage, 2000 "Pollen viability and longevity: practical, ecological and evolutionary implications" Plant Systematics and Evolution.  222: 113-132 or Kraal, 1962 "How long do honey-bees carry germinable pollen on them?" Euphytica 11: 53-56.  Moistened corbicular pollen has zero longevity since the added nectar causes osmotic havoc but longevity of the loose stuff will vary with the species and environmental conditions.  While some pollen can be quite long lived (i.e. some orchid pollinaria), most pollen life spans are in days or even hours.  You might also want to check DeGrandi-Hoffmann et al 1986 "Influence of honey bee in-hive pollen transfer on cross-pollination and fruit set in apple"  Environmental Entomology 15:7823-735 who propose that pollen transfer by jostling workers in the hive explains high fruit set in apple orchards where individuals workers show high constancy to particular varieties (clones).
        I believe this was later questioned because of the extent of grooming.

        best

        Jack