Re: [beemonitoring] Recently Introduced Bees - A Potentially Large and Unstudied Problem

  • Neal Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2007
      Sam et al.

      I believe that we are seeing them here in Philadelphia region too. I
      have two reports from people of large number of bees in rafter area of
      barns-They are OSmia for sure, but I need to key the specimens.
      Certainly they are horned.

      Neal Williams --Bryn Mawr College

      --
      Neal Williams
      Dept. of Biology

      Tel: 610-526-5091
      Fax: 610-526-5086
    • John S. Ascher
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2007
        Sam, T'ai et al.,

        Note the following passage pertaining to Osmia cornifrons from Giles and
        Ascher, 2006:218, J. Hym. Res. 15(2), where this species is considered as
        potentially invasive for the first time:

        "After wide distribution and release, this species has recently
        established large populations in natural and urban (e.g., Manhattan and
        Brooklyn, NYC) habitats in the eastern United States to the point where it
        could be considered invasive..."

        Regarding Anthophora plumipes, it should be noted that this well-known
        polylectic species is native to at least 25 countries ranging from Spain
        to Japan and Greece. Some areas where A. plumipes occurs have notoriously
        cold winters, including Korea (don't forget the "Frozen Chosen" Marines at
        the Chosin Reservoir), Finland, and Siberia, so there is reason to
        question Batra's 2003 (citation below) assertion that "any escaping bees
        would not survive in the cold climate" of Maine and also her conclusion
        that the bee would be of particular use in the southeastern United States.
        It is interesting to note that similarly dubious claims have been made
        about the climatic limitations and preferences of Bombus impatiens, which
        supposedly requires cold winters but is in fact well known to occur in
        subtropical Miami in south Florida.

        The very wide range of A. plumipes in the Palearctic can be seen on this
        global map plotting literature records by country together with Sam
        Droege's specimen records from the USA:
        http://stri.discoverlife.org/mp/20m?kind=Anthophora+plumipes

        I strongly recommend that anyone interested in Osmia cornifrons and
        Anthophora plumipes read or reread "Bee Introductions to Pollinate our
        Crops" (pp. 85-98 of "For nonnative crops, whence pollinators of the
        future?" edited by Karen Strickler and James H. Cane) by Suzanne W. T.
        Batra, the principal proponent of spreading exotic Palearctic bee species
        to the North America. Therein, she asserts that "Widespread alarm about
        the introduction and spread of exotic organisms, including bees, is a
        fairly recent phenomenon gaining strength in the 1990s. It seems to be a
        religious view (sensu Radhakrishnan, 1951)..." In common with certain
        members of the Bush administration, she considers immigrants such as
        Palearctic bees as a legitimate means of increasing biodiversity in the
        United States. In this chapter, she repeatedly dismisses concerns
        expressed by other biologists about release of exotic bees by the USDA as,
        e.g., merely "Emotion (moral outrage)" and as "overreaction to slight
        risk...an example of misplaced conservatism common to regulatory
        agencies." In her view the burden of proof was entirely on those opposing
        the introductions. The divergence between her views on exotic species and
        those held by most biologists interested in maintaining native diversity
        could not be more stark.

        When considering the spread of Osmia cornifrons and Anthophora plumipes it
        is very important to remember that these did not accidently arrive in the
        USA like Megachile rotundata but instead were deliberately released with
        governmental approval, largely as the result of the strongly held views of
        a single person. In my opinion, insufficient attention was given to
        scientific considerations at the time, but it seems likely that these
        species are now a permanent part of our fauna, in which case we will have
        plenty of opportunity for future assessment of their merits.

        John

        --
        John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
        Bee Database Project Manager