RE: [beemonitoring] Measuring Osmia Phenology as a Measure of Climate Change - Feedback Needed

  • Mark E Kraemer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010

      Sam & All,

      Here are my thoughts on using Osmia as a monitor for climate change.   I’ve worked with O. lignaria in Virginia since about 2002.

      It is likely that each geographical population of bees has adapted to local climate conditions and has its own chilling and perhaps heating degree day requirements for spring emergence.   Thus, sending cohorts from one geographical region to other regions may be a problem.  For example, if bees from a colder winter climate area are sent to a warmer one and they do not get enough chilling they will have poor emergence extended over a longer period of time, similar to fruit tree bloom when not enough chill units have been accumulated.   Nest building would be extended late into the season but have nothing to do with climate change.   If bee tubes are sent out in late winter after chilling requirements are met, you still have the problem of variable and unknown temperatures during transit.  It’s best to use local bee populations if possible.

      I’d use eastern red bud bloom for phenological comparisons, at least in the Eastern U.S.   I found female emergence in Virginia and North Carolina closely coincides with initial bloom of Eastern redbud.  Eastern redbud provides not just pollen but nectar early in the season when few if any other trees/shrubs are flowering.   It’s a very common forest understory tree and an ornamental found throughout most of the eastern U.S.  The vast majority of pollen (>90%) that I sampled from nest cells created in the first week was redbud (4 sites), even when the trees were not nearby the shelter boxes.   Nesting was very poor and late in one site where redbuds were not found.   I would expect first nest completions to be 7-10 days after initial redbud bloom, depending on air temps.  Some of these phenology results should appear soon in Environmental Entomology.

      I’d like to know whether our observed phenological link of female emergence with Eastern redbud bloom occurs elsewhere, and the pollen composition of the early nest cells.  If this relationship is true, and because climate has changed so radically during the past few million years, I’d speculate that the bees and trees have co-evolved a very similar mechanism for coordinating their emergence/bloom through a broad range of climate change.

      Mark Kraemer

      Asst. Prof - research

      (804) 524-5952

      P.O. Box 9061

      Virginia State University

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        Dear Liz:

        Yes, Andrew Beattie studied violets and other spring ephemerals but his work changed radically when he moved to Australia in the mid-1980's.  He came to the Plant Cell Biology Research Center (now defunct) at the U. of Melbourne and worked on pollen viability under the late Bruce Knox (my advisor).  Drs. Andrew and Christine Beattie discovered that pollen grains died quickly upon adhering to the cuticle of bulldog ants.  I believe that the Beatties later went on to show that there are antibiotics in the Dufours (?) gland that ants use to clean and cover their bodies.  Aspects of this work continue to date as the Drs Beattie carry on a most active retirement.  Bees it seems do not produce the same antibiotics, or don't produce them at the same strength.  The Beatties assumed that, as ants live in soil and rotting wood, most come in contact with bacteria and spores with great regularity.  This becomes especially dangerous when they nurse their sister larvae and pupae.  That's why they coat their immature sisters with secretions from their glands.  Bees and wasps, on the other hand, raise their sisters or offspring in individual chambers of wax, resin or paper.  The chances for contamination are lower.

        The fact remains, though, that there is no obvious selective advantage for bees brining live pollen home to the burrow.  Hydrated pollen is good for the offspring living on lipids and amino acids in the cytoplasm but, surely, you don't want pollen grains that germinate prior to consumption.  That, one presumes, is why the grains are hydrated in a sugar-saturated solution. Germinating pollen grains are empty of cytoplasm and, one presumes that important nutrients are metabolized in the pollen tube.  Who knows, this may be another reason why some flowers have shifted towards beetles, hummingbirds, honeyeater birds, tangle-vein flies, most wasps, most moths and most butterflies.  Most don't feed pollen to their offspring.

        Sincerely, Peter

        On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Liz Day <lizday44@...> wrote:
        Dear Peter,

        consider contacting recently retired, Dr. Andrew Beattie <<mailto:abeattie@...>abeattie@...> and his wife, Christine.

        AH.... didn't he study pollination in violets?  Or am I confused?   I often wonder whether bumblebees were involved in his research.

        thanks,
        Liz

        ---------------------------
        Liz Day
        3221 Merrick Ln. 3B
        Indianapolis, Indiana 46222  USA
        (40 N, 86 W;  USDA zone 5b)
        317-924-0008
        ---------------------------

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010

          Hi Mark:

          Thanks for the comments.  Actually we were not planning on sending out bees, just the empty tubes and were then going to see what species used the tubes later in Fall by cutting them open.

          Redbud would be a good tree to use as it is planted widely and the blossoms are obvious...and Osmia do love them.

          In addition to having folks track redbud bloom it was also pointed out that just because you have finished nests it doesn't necessarily mean that bees haven't been out and about for quite a while and are simply waiting for plants to bloom.  To test that I think it would be interesting to have some sites also running bowl traps each day (this would be a fair amount of work, so I don't expect very  many site to do this).  In that way we could look at first captures in bowls, plant phenology, and nest completion rates...additionally, Wayne runs a network of honeybee hives that are weighed each day and are very sensitive to general nectar resources, these could also be added along with NASA's greenup measurements.

          "Weather"

          Weather, n. The climate of an hour. A permanent topic of conversation among persons whom it does not interest, but who have inherited the tendency to chatter about it
          from naked arboreal ancestors whom it keenly concerned. The setting up of official weather bureaus and their maintenance in mendacity prove that even governments
          are accessible to suasion by the rude forefathers of the jungle.

                        Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
                        And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
                        Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
                        With a record of unreason seldom paralleled on earth.
                        While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent youth,
                        From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of truth.
                        He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
                        On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
                        For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
                        "Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

          Halcyon Jones.

             - Ambrose Bierce

          P Bees are not optional.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
            Linda:  Have your checked Dafni & Firmage, 2000 "Pollen viability and longevity: practical, ecological and evolutionary implications" Plant Systematics and Evolution.  222: 113-132 or Kraal, 1962 "How long do honey-bees carry germinable pollen on them?" Euphytica 11: 53-56.  Moistened corbicular pollen has zero longevity since the added nectar causes osmotic havoc but longevity of the loose stuff will vary with the species and environmental conditions.  While some pollen can be quite long lived (i.e. some orchid pollinaria), most pollen life spans are in days or even hours.  You might also want to check DeGrandi-Hoffmann et al 1986 "Influence of honey bee in-hive pollen transfer on cross-pollination and fruit set in apple"  Environmental Entomology 15:7823-735 who propose that pollen transfer by jostling workers in the hive explains high fruit set in apple orchards where individuals workers show high constancy to particular varieties (clones).
            I believe this was later questioned because of the extent of grooming.

            best

            Jack