Nest sites for bees and wasps

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi all,

      Are there any websites that explain how one can make artificial nest
      sites for aculeate Hymenoptera? There is a lot of literature out there
      but I have been asked by some naturalists how they can do that. It
      would be very convenient if I could direct them to a website.

      Thanks for your help,

      Matthias

      --
      Dr. Matthias Buck
      Invertebrate Zoology
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Mattias

        I recommend visiting our website (www.xerces.org) and following the links from the home page to the pollinator conservation resource center.  The resource center has information on nest site construction and maintenance under the nest site tab.

        I also was recently impressed by the bumble bee nest information at the bumble bee conservation trust website.

        I hope this is helpful.

        Best
        Mace

        Mace Vaughan
        Xerces Society

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010

          Matt:

          The Hallett's work on trap nest observation systems in Canada is very cool,,,check out the following website which also takes things several steps further:

                  http://resonatingbodies.wordpress.com/art/nest-wall/

          With their literature at:

          http://resonatingbodies.wordpress.com/resources/recommended-books-downloadable-files-links/

          "...and though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all..."

          A day in the life.
          Sargent Peppers
          Beatles
          P Bees are not optional.