Re: [beemonitoring] Bee-shaped and fluffy character

  • hennetjie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
      Thank you very much for replying, Laura, Liz and Don,

      have sent your replies (without personal details, just to be on the safe side of privacy) to the person who asked and I also thought it might be a black carpenter bee (perhaps the female is black?) , but from the pictures I found, it doesn't seem to be all that hairy.

      Much appreciated. I also searched the net, simply because the question intrigued me and now I have found so much new info. Thank you all for that.

      Cool that Darwin was right...

      hen
      ? Carpenter bee, sphinx or hawk moth, silence of the lamb moths...
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2010
        In South Africa, there is a distinct alternative which those of us
        from the US might not consider: a nemestrinid fly. If the proboscis
        is long and *non-retractile*, then this is very likely, and would
        rule out a hawkmoth. Nemestrinids in the US are fond of mints, so the
        host plant also fits.

        Peace,

      • hennetjie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2010
          To the list members who replied to my first query. This is what I have found out to date:

          It was confirmed [P MacKenzie] that the plant is indeed a member of the Lamiaceae Family, genus Plectranthus, species neochillus - an  indigenous plant commonly referred to as "Stinkbossie" (=stink/smelly bush) or "Spur flower", known to attract Carpenter bees due to their propensity for the colour blue.

          And according to Dr C Eardley: "Yes you do get large black carpenter bees in the Cape, one 2-3 cm long, another 1.0-1.5 cm long. They are the same genus but different subgenera to the American big, black carpenter bee. There is also one with yellow stripes, and from George eastward an orange one. Yes it has a long proboscis but I'm not sure how long."

          I forgot to ask if they are hairy... tcht.

          Most obliged.

          Regards,
          hen